Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which wall-mounted air line reel?
Pete Jordan

posted on 7/12/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Which wall-mounted air line reel?

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend me a good wall-mounted swivelling retractable air line reel? I'm looking for one with about 10m of hose on it and do not want to spend more than about £60 on it. Looking on the internet, they seem to be going for anything from about £40 up to £300! I like the idea of getting one for about £40 but I've read that the hoses on some of the cheaper ones aren't that good and don't last too long. Has anyone had one for a while that they can recommend please? I'll be using it for a ratchet spanner, cut-off tool and tyre inflator etc, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Pete

mark chandler

posted on 7/12/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Restrictions in joints and small bore hoses kill the effective power of air tools along with long lengths of hose.

I have a decent hose cut so it reaches the end of the garage and just loop over an air tidy, I then have an extension that also sits on the hose tidy if I need to go outside, this eliminates most problems with CFM.

My 3hp compressor is not powerful enough to run any constant use tools such as grinders, cut off tools, it is fine for spraying and rattle guns.

Before spending the money confirm that the compressor is up to the job on a short hose.

An alternative which I may do one day is to pipe air around the garage and plug in locally, large bore then until the final connect, just need to find some cheap tube.

Regards Mark

hobbsy

posted on 7/12/13 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
German supermarkets, blue and yellow version, 10mm ID hose and about 40quid. This has already been discussed a few months ago and AdiT who is a full time mechanic came to the same conclusion.
Phil.J

posted on 7/12/13 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Get one with 1/2" bore hose so that it can power a rattle gun. I made the mistake of getting a 10mm bore hose and it just can't pass enough air from my 3hp 15cfm compressor.
hobbsy

posted on 7/12/13 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Is that 15cfm figure the free air delivery? If so which model do you have? I think my 3hp sealey "v twin" model is just under 10cfm so I don't think the 10mm ID hose holds it back but take your point at 15cfm!
adithorp

posted on 7/12/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
We've been running 2 Aldi air reels for at least 5 years in constant daily use without complaint. They're cheaper than you can by the hose elsewhere and exactly the same item as the Sealy one... but with 5m more hose. Only faults we've had is the springs in the catch mechanism breaking (easy to replace) but then we give them more use in a day than you would in a year.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Pete Jordan

posted on 7/12/13 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies. I've looked on the Aldi website and cannot find an airline reel. Are they only available in-store?

Thanks again

Pete

hobbsy

posted on 8/12/13 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Its an offer they repeat now and then so unfortunately you may have to wait a few weeks or try to find the same on what etc
neilp1

posted on 9/12/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an Aldi one for 15 quid a while ago. It was instore and not advertised. For that money worth taking a chance and it's been great.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.