Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine bay conversion helpful idea’s and suggestions of things to watch out for
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/12/13 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Engine bay conversion helpful idea’s and suggestions of things to watch out for

Hi folks

Those who know me will be very aware I like my Bluebirds, I use them everyday but they only have 1.8 carbed petrol’s in them and god are they so unbelievably slow especially when cold, not helped being 4 speed autos too. Tbh the engine belongs in the 1980’s and is just not up to todays traffic.

I noticed a post of a guy who did a front end and mechanics swap of a Cortina and an Impreza, quite a feat seeing that the Cortina has a totally different suspension system at the back. It was well done and has me thinking I could do the same with one of my bluebirds.

I’d have a much easier time I think since both cars use MacPherson struts all round and the rear suspension systems are almost identical. Front end from the bulkhead forward is much the same idea but would be all impreza apart from the outer panels and bumper. Main change apart from the front end would be replacing the bluebird tunnel with the impreza’s but that looks a doddle tbh, simply welding the new tunnel onto the bluebirds floor and then cutting the old tunnel off underneath so there is no risk of shell distortion.

One point I may have to deal with is that there is a sticker on the bluebirds bulkhead that says it contains asbestos, hmm what's that all about I??? I wonder if it is double skinned and has some lining inside, anyone had this before with jap cars?

Considering some of the rebuilds I’ve done over the years none of it looks particularly difficult. Not sure if I’d go to the hassle of involving the DVLA or going through the IVA process, is it worth it for a car that will just look like an ordinary factory spec model from the outside??? The guy who does my MOT’s I’m sure will just think it’s a laugh and another daft thing I’ve done with my poor suffering bluebirds. Though an IVA I suppose would not be too difficult with a normal production car, it probably covers all the requirements already, it’s just the cost really that seems a waste.

Anyone done something similar who could offer some advice or info on the best Impreza’s to use as a donor? Tbh a WRX may be a bit of an overkill, I’d be happy with a less powerful model I’m sure and a non turbo would be easier to deal with it think. Any help?

oh and this is the cortina conversion...

linky

[Edited on 23/12/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scimjim

posted on 23/12/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Love to see that - but surely a CA18ET is the obvious bolt in upgrade, or even the DET?
morcus

posted on 23/12/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds awesome and I love the idea of a super blue bird.

If your cutting the shell like that I would think you'd need some sort of test if your going to drive it on the road.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Nickp

posted on 23/12/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you just put a Bluebird Turbo lump in? They used to go OK, I had a couple of Silvia Turbos back in the day? Or are they getting scarce these days?
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/12/13 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
yeah a mentally quick bluebird would be so much fun especially if it looked unmodified

The turbo bluebirds may have seemed quick in their day but most family cars are faster now and the turbo engines are virtually no existant now. Besides I really like the idea of having 4WD as I do a lot of towing and you can't beat a 4x4 for that

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 23/12/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
So it's not the 4x4 that you want, you don't like the engine and the gearbox is 4 speed auto....

Is it the styling that appeals to you then? The Japanese interior? The handling?

I'm all for doing pointless projects but is this really the best base to use? For a project that will cost 100's of hours and £££? Don't want to seem negative but I'm not sure what the point is.

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

scimjim

posted on 23/12/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I think you're severely underestimating the work that's gone into that tina

I have a 2 spare ET engines and could probably lay my hands on 3 or 4 others, so not that rare (Reliant bought several hundred for the small sports) - 135BHP, 140lbft, 0-60 in 8.5ish, 120 top (and that's in your tin-top ) - how fast do you want to go on the public roads?

DETs are much more plentiful - I believe they also did a 4WD version (non-export)? that would be unique in UK

Nickp

posted on 23/12/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim

I have a 2 spare ET engines and could probably lay my hands on 3 or 4 others, so not that rare (Reliant bought several hundred for the small sports) - 135BHP, 140lbft, 0-60 in 8.5ish, 120 top (and that's in your tin-top ) - how fast do you want to go on the public roads?

Kinda what I was thinking. My old Silvia had a simple boost tweak to make 175bhp and that was without an intercooler. Surely it could make an easy 2-250bhp and it'd still be a proper Bluebird

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 23/12/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I dunno what your moaning about ....

As i have seen you many a morning in your unmissable camo bluebird throwing it round the bridge o dee roundabout at a great rate of knots !!!

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.