Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Type E gearbox Modification
Dangerstevie

posted on 8/1/14 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Type E gearbox Modification

Hi all,

I am fitting a ford type e gearbox to my project mini clubman and i want to remove 1st and 2nd gear so i only have 3rd 4th and reverse. Can anyone forsee any issues in doing this or has anyone done it and can give any helpful advice on it?

Many Thanks

Paul Turner

posted on 8/1/14 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse gear is part of the 1st 2nd selector hub. If you remove that you will not have a reverse.

1st and 2nd lay assembly gears are machined as part of the lay assembly, they are not removable.

Not 100% sure but I suspect in addition to the above points if you did not fit 1st and 2nd gears on the main shaft there would be no way of controlling clearances and 3rd gear would be free to move about on the mainshaft and that would mean no 3rd gear either.

Dangerstevie

posted on 8/1/14 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was hoping i could remove 1st & 2nd and machine up a spacer on the lathe to keep 3rd where it should be. I am not going to be using 1st or 2nd so wanted to remove the mass from the box to reduce the rotaional inertia.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.