Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Propshaft angles - CV's or UJ's
Dangerstevie

posted on 8/1/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Propshaft angles - CV's or UJ's

Afternoon all,

I am building a honda super blackbird powered classic mini clubman. It will be front engined and rear wheel drive. In the middle will be a ford type e gearbox (for reverse and overdrive (its mounted back to front)). I have thrown in the engine to see what i need to cut away etc and it has become very apparent that the short front prop from the bike engine to the ford box will be at quite a severe angle because the bike engines output sprocket / shaft is approximately in line with the pedalbox in the mini and is approx 250mm higher than the gearbox will be. I have been looking at a few different props and the UJ's just dont seem to give much of an angle. Would there be any downside to using a conventional style driveshaft with a CV at either end to link the bike engine to the ford gearbox and then a conventional style prop from there back? I cant think off the top of my head of any reason that it wouldn't work.

gremlin1234

posted on 8/1/14 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
there can be issues with the rubber boots on cv joints running at prop speeds

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=179852

Dangerstevie

posted on 8/1/14 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for that, it was a very useful link
Minicooper

posted on 8/1/14 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not at all sure where your measurement of 250mm is coming from it doesn't seem to make sense.

These are approximate figures, but I would set the Blackbird output at 14 inches (should easily clear steering rack at that height, sump clearance would be 4~4.5 inches ), input to Ford gearbox at 12 inches, output of Ford gearbox 12 inches, differential nose flange at 10" which should give you 11" output drive shaft height with a 1 inch droop to 13" wheels with 175/50/13 tyres

Maximum U/J angle should be around 7 degrees

Cheers
David

Dangerstevie

posted on 8/1/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
As I mentioned it was approx, I have got to raise the motor and move it backwards more sit within the confines of the front subframe but to do that I have to cut the bulkhead just above the rack as it's currently hitting. I'll try to get some more accurate measurements on Friday. I cannot tell ground clearance yet as there is no running gear on the shell at all. That might be a job for this weekend.
Dangerstevie

posted on 13/1/14 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
The engine needs to be moved back by 100mm and up by about 40mm and to the O/S by about 80 mm for ground clearance, prop alignment and exhaust manifold clearance.

The subframe you see in the pictures is merely a support frame to see what i needed to cut out, the proper one will be done once i have the motor in its final resting place with this crud.

The gearbox (Reverse & overdrive) will require a large transmission tunnel throughout the car approx 10" high at the centre raising towards the front of the car for prop clearance and dropping towards the rear of the car to try and retain a rear seat area.

I am in need of a propshaft or propshaft yoke to fit the ford type E gearbox if anyone has one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.