Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop catcher?!
teegray19

posted on 10/1/14 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Prop catcher?!

Now then,

Who actually runs with prop catchers? I've finished the engine install of the zed and very happy. I'm now at the safety stage and wonder if prop catchers are a need?

Who's got them who hasn't?

unijacko67

posted on 10/1/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Made mine and fitted it last week. It's about in the middle of the prop so if either front or rear joints fail it should help.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/1/14 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just finishing off my engine install. Going to fit them at either end incase one end lets go

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ReMan

posted on 10/1/14 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
My job once I get my tunnel and reverse box out for refurb when its a bit warmer

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

designer

posted on 10/1/14 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I only fitted one at the front.

The strength of both UJ's on a prop should be similar, so the front will break first as that is where the power is applied initially.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/1/14 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
The tube lets go sometimes. I've seen them all twisted so just one at the front might not hep

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

CosKev3

posted on 10/1/14 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I will be making something up during my build.

After seeing the damage/reading the threads on here when they do let go its not nice!

designer

posted on 10/1/14 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The tube lets go sometimes. I've seen them all twisted so just one at the front might not hep

Hi Ben
I know that prop shafts get a 'set', a directional twist, but never a seen one go!

I put mine about 350mm behind the UJ.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 10/1/14 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
There was a chap on here who did a video that said "should have installed a prop catcher" - watch that video and see the mess it made, then make the decision.

I'm going to put mine at both ends of the prop - i don't fancy that letting go at speed.

feckn7

posted on 10/1/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Here in New Zealand it's compulsory to have a safety hoop on any modified car - and that hoop has to be 50x5 minimum with M10 bolts minimum.
Given that, on a BEC, the drive shaft is longer than in a CEC and that it usually isn't completely straight I've put 3 safety hoops in my car.
One about half way on the short front piece - which is about 200-250mm from either end, one just after the central bearing and one near the rear end.
In my car the drive shaft is very close to my left leg and, at the front, there's only a thin sheet of ally between the shaft and my leg.
Given that I've already lost my right lower leg (long story) I certainly wouldn't want anything to happen to the left one!
If anything lets go in my drive shaft it's not going anywhere near me or any passengers,

David

Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/1/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

Hi Ben
I know that prop shafts get a 'set', a directional twist, but never a seen one go!

I put mine about 350mm behind the UJ.

Gavin's I believe.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

snapper

posted on 10/1/14 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I plated the tunnel after seeing a mates prop twisted like Liqurish
They flail around until the back wheels stop turning and will chew through ally sheet like butter

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

The Huff

posted on 10/1/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
My fury has a 2-part prop i.e. centre bearing and 3 UJs. I've a prop loop in the middle of the longer (rear half) run - the short front one is already contained by frame tubes. Cheap insurance IMO.
HappyFather

posted on 10/1/14 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
I placed an inverted "U" on the smaller that goes from engine to reverse box. It also has a bolt that prevents the prop from falling and spearing the road. I guess it is safe.
The rear prop, from reverse box to diff, does not have one. I believe the tunel chassis rails of the Aries will be enough to contain a flailing prop, but may consider adding something later on.

rick q

posted on 10/1/14 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've had one let go in the mountains behind Brisbane. The hoops saved me, and having the fuel hydraulics and power running down the tunnel in a steel pipe saved them. Could have been very ugly......

Have a look about half way down this page :- http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=133580&page=2

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.