Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Tank/Engine Bulkhead
Jamesc

posted on 13/1/14 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Tank/Engine Bulkhead

Afternoon,

With regards to an Engine/Fuel Tank bulkhead (or any bulkhead), is there any IVA requirement for the material it is made from? i.e. can it be Carbon Fibre? As long as there are no fuel leak paths or holes obviously?

Thanks!

James

theprisioner

posted on 13/1/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the answer but, aluminium alloy has a melting point of about 1000 deg C, carbon effect polyurethane sheet about 200 deg C, GRP has has a higher melting temperature but still less than aluminium. Steel is the better of them all at 2000deg C Choose your material and fry at what ever temperature you want. A good design in a 7esk will give you only a few seconds to get out.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Jamesc

posted on 13/1/14 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info.

I probably should have given some more info. This is for a Spire and I need to panel the tank in as it sits next to the engine.

I was considering actual Carbon Fibre sheet as I can get a good quantity from work, therefore making it cheaper than Aluminium!

I can't seem to find any information on whether it is IVA ok though? No reason to think it isn't, just double checking.

Thanks.

Gear Monkey

posted on 12/5/14 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to drag up an old post but This is related to my dilemma. I want to fabricate my own bespoke shaped fuel tank from aluminium and locate it on the right hand side of the engine bay opposite the zx9r engine. Now I understand this is an issue although Dax place their tank in the front of the tranny tunnel and a motorcycle sits it's fuel right on to of the engine, so my solution is no more dangerous than either of these examples. Can someone please point me at the regs or tell me how I can work this to get it through the test.

Many thanks

Paul

The Black Flash

posted on 13/5/14 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
manual is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Section 3

It doesn't specify any particular materials, just some general rules, eg must not be vulnerable to sharp edges, near heat sources, not positioned so that a leak would cause petrol to pour onto hot surfaces or into the passenger compartment.

Gear Monkey

posted on 13/5/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant! Thank you very much. I'd say I have a shot with that in mind, funny that a motorcycle pretty much fails on all those points.

Paul

[Edited on 13/5/14 by Gear Monkey]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.