Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home alarm system
RickRick

posted on 15/1/14 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Home alarm system

I'm sure the locost forum can help with this one we were broken in to last week, so we're trying to improve our home security
one thing on the list is an alarm system prefereably wireless and it needs to be pet friendly as we've got 2 kittens

any advice?

Jon Ison

posted on 15/1/14 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
ebay item number 131069056691

etdwm

Davey D

posted on 15/1/14 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.quicksafe.co.uk/alertgen-smartalarm.htm

These are a nice home diy alarm with loads of features. You fit a mobile simcard into it, and it texts you if the alarm goes off, you can also arm/disarm it by text. It comes with RFID tags which you program to each person, so you get a text alert to say who has turned off the alarm etc

IanG1

posted on 15/1/14 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Would go wired if you can, more reliable and although wireless cheaper to install you need to factor in changing all the device batteries once a year to keep it reliable. Some decent kits on eBay around £100 and they are quite easy to wire and set up. Basically wire everything back to the panel in 6 core alarm cable, connect and your sorted.
RickRick

posted on 15/1/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
i've done a wired alarm in the past, though in a smaller house but i think it would make too much mess running wires all over the house, however the wireless one linked above and another i've looked at have 4 wired connections so i could do a bit of both
Canada EH!

posted on 15/1/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you have kittens there is one small problem, do not put a sensor near any stairways, cats have the habit of walking halfway down the stairs then jumping the rest of the way.

As silly as it may sound the sensor sees the flying cat as a much larger object and sets off the alarm.

How do I know this 10 years of alarm response, and finding secure house and the only occupant the family cat.

One other thing, if there are mice present, do not put a sensor in this area. The mouse crawls up in front of the sensor, and the sensor thinks it's looking at an elephant, triggers the alarm, I have witnessed this several times.

If you go to wireless (I have some in my home) they do need to be serviced with new batteries about every 5 years, the backup battery in the control panel should also be inspected at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Davey D

posted on 15/1/14 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
That alarm that I posted a link to will send you a text to inform you of low batteries in each of the sensors
RickRick

posted on 16/1/14 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
that alarm you linked to is identical to the miguard one from respose i was looking at, down to the fact the external sirens are out of stock at the moment
Davey D

posted on 16/1/14 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
im sure that they are all just made in the same factory in china, and then sold on by each retailer as their own product
v8kid

posted on 16/1/14 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
im sure that they are all just made in the same factory in china, and then sold on by each retailer as their own product

I think there is quite a lot more than 1 factory in China making these (and anything else) !

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 16/1/14 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:

I think there is quite a lot more than 1 factory in China making these (and anything else) !

Cheers!

i was meaning the one i originally posted (Alertgen G5), and the MiGuard G5, as they are identical, and both have the siren unit out of stock.... i obviously didn't mean every single alarm, or electronic device ever made in the history of mankind.... jeez!

v8kid

posted on 16/1/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:

Cheers!

i was meaning the one i originally posted (Alertgen G5), and the MiGuard G5, as they are identical, and both have the siren unit out of stock.... i obviously didn't mean every single alarm, or electronic device ever made in the history of mankind.... jeez!

Yes I know you did

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.