Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Peer to Peer Lending
cerbera

posted on 17/1/14 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Peer to Peer Lending

Has anyone have any experiances of peer to peer lending? I'm looking at investing a little into either Zopa or Ratesetter and I am interested in the views of the collective to see what you think or of any experiances you have.

I know they are not backed by the government like banks are, but both these companies have a ring fenced fund that is used to pay back the lender if the borrowers default.

Ta in advance.

jossey

posted on 17/1/14 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
crowd lending as it is known in the industry pays an ok interest rate and a few years ago would be worth the investment if you accept the risk but at the moment you can lock you cash into better interest using places like the post office etc and there is very little risk (Note the post office is not covered by the 75k protection scheme like other "banks" are. So be casreful.

Also take into account you should pay tax on the money you make from them so you may lose upto 40% depending on your taxpayer rate.

I had a look into it and decided to get 5% on a fixed rate deal. Seemed safer and I don't have to worry that new legislation comes in and stops this type of lending... It will be regulated from April so things are about to change.

That's my 2peneth Worth....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobinspain

posted on 17/1/14 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
crowd lending as it is known in the industry pays an ok interest rate and a few years ago would be worth the investment if you accept the risk but at the moment you can lock you cash into better interest using places like the post office etc and there is very little risk (Note the post office is not covered by the 75k protection scheme like other "banks" are. So be casreful.

Also take into account you should pay tax on the money you make from them so you may lose upto 40% depending on your taxpayer rate.

I had a look into it and decided to get 5% on a fixed rate deal. Seemed safer and I don't have to worry that new legislation comes in and stops this type of lending... It will be regulated from April so things are about to change.

Who's offering 5% fixed?
I assume the capital's guaranteed?
That's an incredible offer with base rate where it is !!!

Not Anumber

posted on 17/1/14 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Money invested with a Credit Union will actually provde social benefit as well as a return on investment.

jacko

posted on 17/1/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
quote:
Originally posted by jossey

Who's offering 5% fixed?
I assume the capital's guaranteed?
That's an incredible offer with base rate where it is !!!

As Bob is asking who are you getting this deal with as my ISA's are about to come up for renewal

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 17/1/14 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Buy Lloyd's shares instead - once the government sell their remaining share they'll be £1.30 within a year...
bobinspain

posted on 17/1/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Buy Lloyd's shares instead - once the government sell their remaining share they'll be £1.30 within a year...

A word of caution. Read 'The Motley Fool' a fool's guide to investing in banks. In essence, they say there's far better prospects elsewhere, even within the banking sector (if that's what floats your boat).
I acquired 100 shares in Whitbread 5 yrs ago at 8 quid a share!! Wish I'd've bought a shedload. They are pence away from 40 quid a pop now!
If you remember three basic tenets of life, make it these: (and you won't be disappointed). Dogs bark, babies cry and the stock market moves up and down.

smart51

posted on 17/1/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have an account with fundingcircle. It is a peer to business lending site. You lend small sums (multiples of £20) to a number of different companies to spread the risk. The companies borrow large sums (100k is typical) from hundreds of small lenders, all administered online by funding circle.

Funding Circle vet the companies before hand and grade them from A+ to C-, with anticipated default rates to match. You bid a sum of money and an interest rate and the cheapest bids that make up the 100k loan are accepted. Funding Circle take 1% of the profits out of the repayments, not taking any money upfront.

I'm lending to about 20 companies so far, with a gross yield of over 10% per year. Taking account of the expected default rate and the 1% charge, I should be left with a net return of 6.4%, less income tax of course. It's better than you get from a bank or an ISA. Ideally, you want to lend to 100 or more companies, so should one of them default, it only hits your return by 1%. I'm bulding it up slowly as I'm only picking the best offers.

steve m

posted on 17/1/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am not really in a position to answer, as to me its pretty well gambling, and as I was well done, a few years ago, to about 150k
in what was really a mortgage scam, but us being the innocent party, but I still have to pay the debt, ( nearly gone now)

but my father who was an accountant, but now retired and invests about 1 mill, into what ever, has always said, that if you invest, or try to increase your money, you have to be prepared to lose, and sometimes it will be a big lose, especially if your greedy, back in the 80's he lost 500k in one day, on a black Monday type of day

Hence my reluctance to put any money into any "scheme"

as I said, just my point of view

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jossey

posted on 18/1/14 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
it was a deal last year with the post office at 5% at the time. thats AER though.

also have my normal cash in a santander current account which offers 3.25 % fixed on savings. which is good. I set all my DD's to the last day of the month which gave me an extra £100 a year in interest.

Keep an eye out for post office offers.

as others have mentioned there is small social benefit to some of the schemes but not many. Sub prime lending leads people into more debt normally and same as pay day loans it only really helps less than 5% of people using the service.

Why not mine Litecoins or something risky like that....

Thanks

David

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.