Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield dry sump
JeffJeffers

posted on 24/1/14 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield dry sump

My Hayabusa engine replacement is coming along nicely. The other day I bought a Holeshot sump with swinging pick up. I now have the chance to buy a Westfield dry sump. I have done a bit of reading on the internet and it seems the Westfield dry sump set up isn't the best.
So my question am I better off keeping my Holeshot sump and fitting an Accusump. Or change it for the Westfield dry sump?

hkp57

posted on 25/1/14 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends on the use of the car, Fast road work you will get away with the swinging pick-up.

For track use some say it is OK for limited track use but remember the holeshot sump is designed for a drag bike with the engine 90deg to what you have so for left handers it is perfect but right handers there could be issues.

I spent many nights thinking this subject through for my current Indy build, to the point the engine was installed with a swinging billet sump added.

in the end I decided after commiting all this money to a build that scrimping on reliable oil supply was bad.

So not done yet but the sump is coming off and SBD dry sump system is going on.

Indy Build Linky

JeffJeffers

posted on 25/1/14 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I understand that a dry sump is more reliable than a sump with a swinging pick up.
But how reliable is the Westfield dry sump?

CosKev3

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Yellowcab had one fitted to his, have a look through his thread.
It was commented on by someone that the sump is too small to use as a wet sump, as it was never designed to be wet sump its not built to hold alot of oil.
I would say the clue is in the name, its called a dry sump because its made to be used with a dry sump system!

[Edited on 25/1/14 by CosKev3]

GreigM

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffJeffers
I understand that a dry sump is more reliable than a sump with a swinging pick up.
But how reliable is the Westfield dry sump?

It is utter shit...the most inept bit of design I've seen in a loooooong time. I went through years of pain trying to get the westfield sump reliable and unless you are very very lucky it will end up costing you way more than if you just bought a decent dry sump system. Eventually I bit the bullet and bought a SBD dry sump (Nova sump is the same thing) and never had a single issue with the engine since.

I would be wary of buying a 2nd hand westfield sump kit anyway as the pumps could be knackered and you'd never know.

I wouldn't trust a swinging pickup either as its just not designed for a car application. IMO the only properly reliable option for a busa is either the Nova, SBD or big CC dry sump systems (all are fundamentally the same thing, and replace the water pump to drive the scavenge pump).

fesycresy

posted on 25/1/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree the WF dry sump is shit. Heard of loads of belts slipping off too.

I would stick to the swinging pick up pipe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

yellowcab

posted on 25/1/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
My belt slipped off leaving me with another knackered engine, I put it down to bad luck...

Simply because Mike (cosmick) has been running his Megabusa with original dry sump setup for 7 years without a single problem...

JeffJeffers

posted on 25/1/14 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think I will leave it for now then and maybe look at a SBD system in the future.
ludobenc

posted on 26/1/14 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
i had a Holeshot sump with swinging pick up on my old 1340 busa

6500 km (4000 mi) of fast road use without any problem on it

http://www.youtube.com/user/LudoBenc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.