Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop gearbox problem
smart51

posted on 27/1/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop gearbox problem

I'm having trouble on my 2006 Peugeot 107. For a few days it has been really stubborn putting it into 2nd and today it's being sticky on 3rd, 4th and reverse too. Coming home, it wouldn't go into reverse without grinding the dogs and to back onto the drive, I had to switch it off, select reverse and start it with my foot on the clutch. For about the same length of time, the clutch pedal has felt a bit funny for the first cm of travel. As if a rusty return spring is being stretched one coil at a time.

My drive is on a bit of a slope, so with the engine off, I put it in 2nd with my foot on the clutch and let the stationary engine hold it, then pushed the clutch in slowly until the car started to roll - about half way down the clutch pedal's travel.

What might the problem be? Clutch, clutch cable or gearbox. The car has done less than 60,000 miles in 7 and a half years.

Matty_o

posted on 27/1/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Had this problem on a few of my customers cars 107,Aygo,and c1. Turned out to be faults with the clutch pressure plate fingers. Only way to tell is take the box out and inspect tho imfraid (relatively straight forward job)once the gearbox is out it should be pretty obvious to see.

Matty

smart51

posted on 27/1/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Matty. What's the solution. Does the pressure plate need to be replaced?

Matty_o

posted on 27/1/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep,but to be honest it's worth replacing the the whole lot (pressure plate,clutch plate and release bearing) as it's all out and easily accessible. Try Peugeot for a price as well you will be surprised how cheap they are.

Matty.

smart51

posted on 27/1/14 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I guess so. What' same good price for changing a clutch? A 3 piece clutch on ebay is about £50. What would be a reasonable labour charge? There's a good Indy and kwikfit near work.

britishtrident

posted on 27/1/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
New updated uprated clutch required , this is a known problem with the early Aygo/C3/107

[Edited on 27/1/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Matty_o

posted on 27/1/14 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ha I actually ment price for the clutch not for them to change lol sorry.Should take no more than a couple of hours to do so depending on what labour rate your local garages charge depends really. Some places may even do a "cash" Job if you supply the parts.
Re clutches you kinda of get what you pay for really but something like your little car you would probly get away with a cheap clutch IMHO.

P.s wouldn't touch kwick fit with a barge pole, if the one near you is anything like the one near me I would avoid lol

Matty

smart51

posted on 27/1/14 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
New flywheel & updated uprated clutch required , this is a known problem with the early Aygo/C3/107

New flywheel?

prawnabie

posted on 27/1/14 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I second the clutch, we have changed 4 at least at work under 40k miles.
smart51

posted on 28/1/14 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Local independent garage wants £288 inc VAT, so I've booked it in. A bit of googling shows it to be a common problem on early cars, fixed by fitting a bigger clutch. Aparently I've done well to make it last so long.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.