Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: very frustrated
Dooey99

posted on 28/1/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
very frustrated

vinyl wrapping infuriates me. why cant it just work without getting little tiny creases in at the edges? why do i burn my fingers on the heat gun? why cant i magic the panels into carbon fibre?

rant over.

very angry.

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

bi22le

posted on 28/1/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Get somebody to hold the gun for you so you can get more ambient heat on it from further away. This leaves you both hands and more time so you dont feel rushed.

Creases on the sides - This I think is because you are stretching it too much before laying it. Kind of over stretching it. Again having an extra hands help. Also imagine in your head the panel is 2" bigger than it is. This way you get the creases off of the panel and therefore cut off once trimmed.

One more thing, the flatter the panel the less heat you need. For flat panels spray lots of water on the vinyl and panel and use a soft windor squigy or sponge to press air out.

Lots of Youtube clips to see the pro's do it.

Keep calm and be safe in the knowledge that at least its not too expensive. Rip it off and start again if req.

Good luck

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Dooey99

posted on 28/1/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
my mate just bought a hydro dipping kit so might get everything dipped if his tanks are big enough.

Matty_o

posted on 28/1/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
As above having some one holding the heat gun helps a lot. I found using the best material helped as well if doing large pieces and bits with bends,corners ect the cheap stuff is un forgiving. Also if using carbon effect wrap be carefull not over stretch as you will distort the weave and will look a little odd.

If wrapping two separate parts that go side by side remember to to have the weave going the same direction.

Take your time to get it wright however frustrating it can/will be, I wrapped the whole of my last car in carbon (mk) and it looked bloody awsome

Dooey99

posted on 28/1/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
i cant do the the wheel arches the curve outer edge is a pig and for someone with very little patients like myself if it is annoying!

Slimy38

posted on 28/1/14 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Also imagine in your head the panel is 2" bigger than it is. This way you get the creases off of the panel and therefore cut off once trimmed.

This. You WILL get creases in the vinyl no matter what you do to prevent it. However, if those creases are in the extra bit that you'd trim or tuck underneath, then it doesn't matter!!

Watch the youtube wrapping videos, you'll find that they all have a good few inches left over, and they are basically a huge mess of creases (wing mirror wrapping is a perfect example). But it doesn't matter, as long as you get the creases past the edge of the panel then bobs your uncle.

[Edited on 28/1/14 by Slimy38]

Proby

posted on 28/1/14 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Also make sure you use a good quality cast vinyl, as it will be more workable around the curves than the cheap mono/polymeric stuff.

Chris

Visit GraphicMonster

Daf

posted on 28/1/14 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I found putting the heat gun in the vice worked quite well. Then you have two hands to work the part and you can move it up to the heat gun when required

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.