Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: starter circuit cut out relay...
R1rider

posted on 29/1/14 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
starter circuit cut out relay...

hi guys,

I have tried posting this to no avail in the R1 forum..! I know you guys use the R1 motor/loom so thought I'd post here for help.

I have a UK spec 4xv 1999 R1, I am converting the harness for race use and thus removing the unrequited wiring. amongst this I would like to remove the ignition barrel and fit a rocker switch, remover the cut off relay completely. I will be running my fuel pump from its own relay as you know it forms part of the cutoff relay.

ok wires and colours...

starter switch as follows:

black x 2, one to cyclelock and 1 to earth.

stop switch as follows:

red with black goes to cutoff relay.
red with white to ignition fuse/starter relay and ignition control unit.

The relay assembly is as follows:

red/black to stop switch/ht coils
blue/white to starter relay
black to cyclelock
black/yellow to clutch switch
pale blue to neutral switch
blue/yellow to side stand switch/clutch switch
black to fuel pump
blue/red to ignition control unit

lastly the ignition barrel/switch

black to cyclelock
blue/yellow to cutoff relay
red to fuses/regrect
Brown to fuse box
the lighting wires are redundant

ok, have been told red and Brown on toggle for ignition, but what about the others?
I have bypassed side/clutch switches already however want to remove relay correctly.

so plenty of you guys have done this so please help, ps fan is linked to own power/fuse so no need to worry about that.

thanks in advance
mark

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 30/1/14 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R1rider
I have a UK spec 4xv 1999 R1, I am converting the harness for race use and thus removing the unrequited wiring.
mark

sorry but I cant resist, no help but ......

I take it you have asked your loom nicely telling it you love it and it rebuffed your advances ?

But to speak about a relay, they are simply electric switches with a coil operating the switch.

The coil inside the relay is fed by a live and an earth, and might be switched/activated by either of the two, when the coil in the relay is energized the "switch" part either open or closes the circuit, so you can use it to switch on/off a live or an earth, so its a simple affair with a multi meter or a test lamp to find out what wire is doing what job.

Or if you have a wiring diagram you can study it and work it out.

[Edited on 30/1/2014 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

adithorp

posted on 30/1/14 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I left the Yamaha starter relay in. Just removed the clutch and side-stand switches connecting the leads together and put a bypass in to eliminate the neutral cut off (but keep the dash neutral light working). Can't help too much with the wire colours or destinations as mine is a later 5vy and I've got a none cyclelock US loom... and it was a long time ago.

HB... the R1 "starter relay" isn't a standard relay as you describe. It incorpoates the logic circuit to prevent starting under certain conditions dependant on neutral/clutch/stand positions.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 30/1/14 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

HB... the R1 "starter relay" isn't a standard relay as you describe. It incorporates the logic circuit to prevent starting under certain conditions dependent on neutral/clutch/stand positions.

Granted but...

ANY suitably specced relay (one that can handle the starter) can incorporate such a "logic" circuit,or lockout into it by having (usually) the negative side of the energizing coil wired through them and if the required conditions are not met i.e. neutral, clutch in or stand up etc no earth signal will be present for the start button (if its negatively switched) preventing said signal from being sent to the energizing coil on the starter relay at required time.

It was most apparent from the initial post, that by getting too technical and adding logic to the mix, that, that might have been a bridge too far so to speak.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.