Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Washing line stake
martyn1137

posted on 13/2/14 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Washing line stake

I have a new rotary washing line, - oops Wife has a new rotary washing line! Problem is I couldn't get one with the same size tube as the old one, the new one is larger.

For a few months I have tried various gadgets including a plastic screw in the ground base but all weaken and it gradually leans over. The old stake was mega concreted in when the patio was laid and didn't budge an inch. its still there but obviously too small. The ground stake that came with the new one I still have.

The new line is quite large and therefore exerts great leverage at ground level. I have therefore decided not to try to mount its stake in the ground as I would have to have a large hole to fill with concrete.

My thought was to have someone make a up a fitting to drop into the old stake and then weld a plate on top to which could be welded the new ground stake tube or maybe a thicker one as it may be a bit flimsy if not surrounded by concrete or earth. Unfortunately the new pole has a rectangular section pressed in down the length otherwise a fitting could have been turned out of a solid lump of metal. It still could be done that way but there is the extra aggravation of routering out a slot in the top section. It would be stronger though.

Apart from using the tumble dryer has anyone and ideas or can offer to make a fitting? I was pretty damn handy at Oxy Acetylene welding when at school but that was 40 years ago and I don't have access to such facilities anymore. Or is there a really locost option I have missed?

Dusty

posted on 13/2/14 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a tube that fits (?the old line post) in the hole you already have, to give a post over which you can thread the new one.

[Edited on 13/2/14 by Dusty]

v8kid

posted on 13/2/14 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
For goodness sake use your SDS drill on hammer action to dig old sleeve out and concrete new one in.
Just do it

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 14/2/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Are you intending to cut the new washing line down as well, as it will be way too high otherwise.
Think the simplistic solution is indeed the good old SDS drill and an hour or so of your life. I would consider China drilling around the existing post, then chisel out followed by concreting in the new stake. Once you start these jobs usually go better than you expect.

jossey

posted on 14/2/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Dig it out.... It's the answer you didn't want but you know you should :-)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn1137

posted on 14/2/14 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, one upside then, I now have an excuse to go and buy an SDS Drill!
BangedupTiger

posted on 14/2/14 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Be a lot easier just to buy a rotary line that fits ?

When I did mine I concreted the ground tube into a bucket and the put the bucket in the ground, easy to remove if I ever need to, stupidly I didn't drill a hole in the bucket so the tube just fills with water. Live and learn.

martyn1137

posted on 14/2/14 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Problem was the old one was Hoselock who have stopped production so I couldn't buy a direct replacement. Everyone else stakes seemed different.

Bangedup Tiger you should be happy only your tube ids filled with water, my whole garden is!

nick205

posted on 14/2/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stick the washing line in the shed for now and spend your time on something else. If the tumble dryer packs up at least you know the plug on a new one will fit in the same wall socket

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.