Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: max input voltage for LED lamps
02GF74

posted on 26/2/14 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
max input voltage for LED lamps

I think I know the answer but will throw the question out here anyway.

I have a set of 3x CREE LED lamps, like those below. They have a 4x 18650 rechargeable battery pack to givre 4.2 V; so are two pairs wired in parallel.

Can I connect the lamp to a pack with 4 cells wired in series, i.e. 8.4 V? (there are CREE LED lamps with such packs).

I do not know what is inside the lamps and I don't think it will be easy to dismantle them - but I have made my own LED lamps using a LED driver which takes a variable voltage (up to 18V or so) to provide the correct current.

In theory these should have drivers so should take a variable input voltage but how high can it go before they go pop, if indeed they do go pop?

MikeRJ

posted on 26/2/14 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I think I know the answer but will throw the question out here anyway.

I have a set of 3x CREE LED lamps, like those below. They have a 4x 18650 rechargeable battery pack to givre 4.2 V; so are two pairs wired in parallel.

A single lithium ion cell has a terminal voltage of 4.2v when fully charged, so if you have four cells and the terminal voltage is only 4.2v, then they must all be connected in parallel. Four cells wired in series would be 16.8v fully charged.

The limiting factor for voltage will probably be the design of the LED driver rather than the LED's themselves. Doubling the voltage is unlikely to be safe.

FWIW I have a single LED Cree bike lamp similar to that one in design with four 18650's in a pack and they are wired as you suggest, two sets of paralleled cells in series to give 8.4v. Why do you think yours is only 4.2v, have you measured the output of the pack it with a voltmeter?

omega 24 v6

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if this will help but most of the industry std automotive led's come in 3 forms that I've sen so far. 12V, 24v and the mutivoltage units that are stamped at 9 to 32 volts. Obviously there will be higher tolerances on the 12 and 24 volt units.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

coyoteboy

posted on 27/2/14 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
If They Are raw leds, don't. You are aware that led devices are current controlled, if you just apply a voltage without limiting current (quite precisely) they'll go into thermal runaway. As they heat up they draw more current, heating themselves further etc. They *need* a driver or you will find expensive results. As for overvolting, no. Not unless you can pulse them to allow time for cooling.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.