Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis paint recommendations?
adithorp

posted on 6/3/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis paint recommendations?

While I've got my engine out and a bit of space I'm cleaning up the chassis in the area. After 6 years use in all weathers, the powder coat has seen better days around the n/s engine-bay (exhaust heat i suspect) and tin worm has started to show it's head (surface only). So once it's cleaned off...

What are peoples recommendations?

I've heard good reports about Por15 but is there something better?

Which Por15 and what prep'?

Where's the best source? I know Frosts do it but (without me trawling the web) is there someone else cheaper recommended?

Should I stick to black or swap to grey? Grey it makes it easier to spot cracks but it's only a section I'm doing at the moment, so not sure I want to have a patch-work.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mark chandler

posted on 6/3/14 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I use teamac paint from agricultural supply stores, if it will stay on a tractor that's good enough for me.

Needs rust removing first though, it is very durable

emwmarine

posted on 6/3/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used POR15 on a landrover chassis when I rebuilt it and it was indestructible.

I used it on the dax rush I am building. Bought as an unfinished kit with powder coating coming off and rust underneath. Quick electric wire brush and POR15 should sort it for years to come. Go over the por15 with chassis black as it is UV sensitive.

Building a Dax Rush.

coozer

posted on 6/3/14 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Hempathane on mine. Its a two-component, glossy acrylic polyurethane coating, cured with aliphatic isocyanate, with good gloss and colour retention, applications are marine/container type paint.

Reason is the place I took the chassis to for blasting were coating oil rig modules so got my chassis treated for next to nowt.

Stuffs not cheap though but worth it in my eyes..

This primer:

http://www.hempel.co.uk/en-gb/products/hempadur-fast-dry-15560

This is the top caot:

http://www.hempel.com/en/marine/decks-topsides-and-superstructure/products/hempathane-topcoat-55210

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

perksy

posted on 6/3/14 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Used Por 15 with good results

Beware the safety data though as it can be nasty

Theres a story on the web of a bloke in the states who used it on a Jeep restoration, The Jeep caught fire and was burnt to a crisp and the only thing left was the chassis and the Por 15

It is UV sensitive though so will need overcoating with chassis black or something similar

Dave Bailey

posted on 6/3/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I vote for the por15... Used it on my mr2 and it was excellent....

Dave B

rusty nuts

posted on 6/3/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yet another vote for Por 15 ?Topcoated my chassis with Hardnose from Frosts, been done for 5 years and still as good as it was when first done. Might be worth checking out Car Builders Solutions?
adithorp

posted on 7/3/14 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. I've ordered Por15 Chassis Coat Black from Frosts.

I think if I was to build again I'd order the chassis without powdercoat and paint it with this from the start. I'd do it in Grey as well but can't face having a harlequin effect now.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

CosKev3

posted on 7/3/14 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Not used Por15 myself but seen pics of it after 12 months on a sill and rust had broke through it.

Best paint IMO after using it a few times is Rust Bullet Automotive easy to use and a good finish.
As a top coat Rust Oleum satin black is a very good match for chassis powdercoat on my Mac1.

Wire brush/rust removal disc as much off as you can, wipe over with Metal Blast,which is available from Rust Bullet, this lightly etches the surface and also removes rust.
Then two coats of Rust Bullet minimum, then your top coat.

Padstar

posted on 10/3/14 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
After much research and thought i have decided to go for POR 15 rather than a powder coat finish.

I would like to order the paint and prep solutions this week and plan to apply using a model (fine spray area) spray gun. The stuff is on teh expensive side so would like to buy in as big a tin as needed to bring the price down a little. How much have you guys used to paint your chassis to give me a good idea of what quantity i should be ordering.

Also did you all spray? Is there any dissadvantage to using a spray gun?

supersport31

posted on 16/3/14 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
The Por15 is great if like most things the prep is done correctly.Damn expensive though.
For value for money, good old hammerite does the job and is easy to touch up in the future

alfas

posted on 18/3/14 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
powdercoat is best as long as its done correctly..powder coating has such a bad reputation as the majoritiy of (kit)car cnstructors only looked on the price....even TVR did....

shot blast, de- greasing, phosphating, primer-powder, color powder

or even

shot blast, de- greasing, galvanizing, phosphating, primer-powder, color powder

if its done exactly in this way it will last for ever, but most do it this way:

cleaning (however), color powder and thats it.

if its done like that the powder will sooner or later flake (mostly sooner)

supersport31

posted on 18/3/14 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree, most powder coat seems to be a cosmetic addition, which unfortunately leaves the inside chassis completely unprotected

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.