Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay to charge final value fee for for ending an auction early.
chris-g

posted on 15/3/14 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay to charge final value fee for for ending an auction early.

As per the title and effective from 15th April. Here is the link to the ebay announcement: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/201403.shtml#2014-03-11191133

Another reason not to use ebay for selling?

[Edited on 15/3/14 by chris-g]

scootz

posted on 15/3/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Who else are you going to use?

It's Evolution Baby!

Proby

posted on 15/3/14 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not really a suprise as so many people list as 'for sale elsewhere' etc and pulling auctions at the last minute due to the bids not being as high as the seller would like. I dont think its a bad thing. Set a reserve if you want £500 for something, not start it at 99p then pull it when it only reaches £100. Ive been pissd off many a time when im bidding on an item and it disappears on the last hour.......

Visit GraphicMonster

scootz

posted on 15/3/14 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Proby
Not really a suprise as so many people list as 'for sale elsewhere' etc and pulling auctions at the last minute due to the bids not being as high as the seller would like. I dont think its a bad thing. Set a reserve if you want £500 for something, not start it at 99p then pull it when it only reaches £100. Ive been pissd off many a time when im bidding on an item and it disappears on the last hour.......

Agreed!

It's Evolution Baby!

gaz_gaz

posted on 15/3/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
If it makes ebay better then i'm all for it.
Just waited a week to buy a 231ps RX8 for it too be pulled last minute "no longer available" for then it to magically reappear a day later for sale again.

It might make people think twice about listing items with no reserve, with no intention of selling if the bids don't go high enough.

Smokey mow

posted on 15/3/14 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
This seems like quite a good idea to me. There's nothing I find more annoying than being the highest bidder on an item only for it to be removed at the last minute and sold to someone else.
britishtrident

posted on 15/3/14 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
EBay is really a shopping site these days, I remember the last thing I bought or sold at an eBay auction.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

myke pocock

posted on 15/3/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
"Another reason not to use ebay for selling." ??????

I would say its a reason TO use ebay for selling. AT LONG LAST!!!!

David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay is massively over-rated - I looked up something I needed on assorted sites, found one that had a price I found acceptable, then looked on ebay to see if I could get it cheaper. Surprise, surprise, it was considerably more expensive.

Found this over and over again - if you can put some effort in to find the supplier's own site, you can beat the ebay price by a huge margin. Even Amazon can very often beat ebay! For me, ebay is somewhere I look when I want a small number of obscure screw or washers. Otherwise, it's often more expensive than 'real sites'.

ashg

posted on 15/3/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Need an mg tf gear linkage and all the brackets gubbins etc. £60 second hand on eBay missing quite a few bits. Went to breakers this morning. £35 for everything.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

big_wasa

posted on 15/3/14 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
This is all to do with people using eBay for advertising and them not receiving there cut.

The new rules wont stop this.

" A fee will be applied to eBay auctions that have received bids and were ended early by the Seller. The fee will be calculated when the auction ends, as a percentage of the final item price, similar to a final value fee

· Sellers that remove bids and then end an auction early will also be required to pay a fee. The fee will be based on the highest bid received before the auction was ended"

So Jo Blogs has his car on auction starting at 50p. It has a few bids and is up to say £50 with one day to go. Jo thinks its worth £500 and has a message saying I live close buy and want this tonight and will pay £450.

So deciding a bird in the hand is worth more than buggering around with some guy in Bulgaria asking him to post the car after the auction has finished does the deal and ends the auction.

eBay will now charge him a tenner.

Deterrent ? doubt it.

I have been after a lathe for several months now and have missed around twelve or fourteen with being snipped or the auction pulled. Pissed of ? Yes but I will find another.

The flip side.

I had a set of alloy wheels on ebay last week. Starting at not much more than scrap value. they are advertised as collection only as I am at work in the day time and the last courier that handled a set of alloys for me opened the back doors and kicked them out onto the curb.

Loads of can I come and buy them now's but I decided to play it by the book.

First bidder is from Poland. so I cancel his bid and politely message him to tell him why. I get a message back to say its ok I will send a courier.......

Second bidder is from Bulgaria, same again. So he bids again. So I remove again. With one second to go he bids again saying he will send a courier.

eBay charge me and debit my bank and sit on it for two weeks, wheels are still sat on my yard.

rant over

coyoteboy

posted on 15/3/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Im all for it, utterly sick of people pulling things early.

chris-g

posted on 15/3/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
This would make me think twice about selling larger and higher value items on ebay, the sort of thing where people are likely to come and view the item before the end of the auction. I am with big_wassa on this one.
coyoteboy

posted on 15/3/14 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why?

BangedupTiger

posted on 15/3/14 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Not a fan at all.

If you need to end an item because it was genuinely miss advertised will you still get charged fees.

As for buying stuff, if I see something I fancy I email asking the seller for a cash price, I then either go and collect it straight away or take my chances no one else wants it.

I've been dicked about by plenty of people when selling things on eBay, if someone wants something early then I'll accept a guaranteed sale for potentially less money than letting an auction run. It's a joke the amount of times I've been contacted by winning bidders claiming things from their children bidding by mistake, setting their foot on fire and can't walk, lost their car keys so can't collect, wife says they are not allowed anymore

big_wasa

posted on 16/3/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
Not a fan at all.

If you need to end an item because it was genuinely miss advertised will you still get charged fees.

As for buying stuff, if I see something I fancy I email asking the seller for a cash price, I then either go and collect it straight away or take my chances no one else wants it.

I've been dicked about by plenty of people when selling things on eBay, if someone wants something early then I'll accept a guaranteed sale for potentially less money than letting an auction run. It's a joke the amount of times I've been contacted by winning bidders claiming things from their children bidding by mistake, setting their foot on fire and can't walk, lost their car keys so can't collect, wife says they are not allowed anymore

If it has bids then yes, well that's the way I read it. When I get dicked I just never hear from them.

locoboy

posted on 17/3/14 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
It only applies to Auctions, so the sellers will just use Buy it Now formats instead.

ATB
Locoboy

daveb666

posted on 17/3/14 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
First bidder is from Poland. so I cancel his bid and politely message him to tell him why. I get a message back to say its ok I will send a courier.......

Second bidder is from Bulgaria, same again. So he bids again. So I remove again. With one second to go he bids again saying he will send a courier.

eBay charge me and debit my bank and sit on it for two weeks, wheels are still sat on my yard.

rant over

Set rules on your auction to prevent non-UK bidders

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

coyoteboy

posted on 17/3/14 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not a fan at all. If you need to end an item because it was genuinely miss advertised will you still get charged fees. As for buying stuff, if I see something I fancy I email asking the seller for a cash price, I then either go and collect it straight away or take my chances no one else wants it.

Take the time to advertise things correctly and don't try to welch out of the auction process, stopping others bidding legitimately and all will be fine.

quote:

I've literally never had that happen. And if I want a specific amount of money for something I put a reserve or a minimum bid. What you're complaining about is not being able to play the system.

[Edited on 17/3/14 by coyoteboy]

Surrey Dave

posted on 17/3/14 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fixed Price

I use fixed price listing most of the time. only use auction if I'm not worried about the outcome.

I thought you couldn't revise or cancel an item in the last 12 hours of the auction???

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.