Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: exhaust hose to extend exhaust out of the garage
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 25/3/14 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
exhaust hose to extend exhaust out of the garage

Ideally I want to be able to run the car in the garage, with the doors open(garage) and have the 2 side exhausts extended out of the garage. (mainly so I can get underneath and see where the oil is coming out from after I have run it for a bit)

I'm trying to find a rubber fitting to go over the exhaust and a cloth pipe to take the fumes out. some thing like they use with the exhaust air jacks..

any one doing this / thoughts / where to buy ?

cheers

Chris

designer

posted on 25/3/14 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I use a plastic drainpipe (connected end kept away from contact with exhaust) and a £9 bathroom extractor to suck away the fumes.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 25/3/14 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
wouldn't bother you will be fine with the doors open.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

FazerBob

posted on 25/3/14 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using an old vacuum cleaner for years. Works a treat as an extractor fan.

Bob

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 25/3/14 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
i've tried - it is horrible! the fumes hang around for ages.

I like the simple pipe and extractor... double up for me - pipe on each side.

I'd have to have a right angle bit of gutter too straight away - will that take the heat?

pewe

posted on 26/3/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Slightly different application but could work for you as well.
The bike makes a huge amount of noise when run up (three cylinders, high lift cams and minimal silencing) so I use a couple of lengths of old stainless flue liner I happened to have knocking about.
These slip easily over the silencers to take the exhaust gases away, plus a load of glass fibre insulation at the ends stop a lot of the noise disturbing the neighbours.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 26/3/14 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
glass fibre insulation is a good thought for sealing the exhaust can to what ever pipe.. like it.
steve m

posted on 26/3/14 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I am unable to verify this, but our old next door neighbour used to run his Austin 7 in a closed garage, by using a steel bent pipe, over the exhast pipe, and then into a large container of water,

He assured me, that the water took all the carbon monoxide and nasty stuff out of the air

he did that for years

Cant ask him, as he died last year of prostate cancer !
and i am not joking

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

MikeRJ

posted on 26/3/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Slightly different application but could work for you as well.
The bike makes a huge amount of noise when run up (three cylinders, high lift cams and minimal silencing) so I use a couple of lengths of old stainless flue liner I happened to have knocking about.
These slip easily over the silencers to take the exhaust gases away, plus a load of glass fibre insulation at the ends stop a lot of the noise disturbing the neighbours.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

When I need to run the engine on my bike for any length of time at home I have an old ZX12R silencer which I join up to the end of the bike silencer with a short length of silicone hose. Hugely quietens the exhaust down so I don't annoy the neighbors.

Irony

posted on 26/3/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
When rewiring my house I create a appalling amount of dust. It was terrible. I got one of those metal floor fans and wedged one in a window pointing out. It extracted the dust so quickly from the room I was worried someone would call the fire brigade as so much billowing white dust made it seem like the house was burning. If you have a small window it might serve as a easy locost option.
Irony

posted on 26/3/14 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you could source metal pipe to the outside then it would also heat the garage in the winter!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.