Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake Location
Padstar

posted on 30/3/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Handbrake Location

Hi,

I have an MX5 as my donor vehicle but have lost the handbreak - Dont ask -

As a result i am in the market for a handbrake. In your experience would you go for one located to the passenger side or in the traditional central location? Also any ideas where i can get a smart looking unit from. The 2 available from Rally designs look a bit unattractive. Silly i know but is there a more aesthetically pleasing lever available anywhere or should i just go for this stock unit.

steve m

posted on 30/3/14 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have mine in the traditional place, in the middle of the tunnel, but if I was to build the car again, it would be
either in the passenger side foot well, or I would go for a twist and turn one under the dash

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/3/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat coupe turbo handbrake lever worked for me.

Nice and simple. I paid £3 including shipping!

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1998-Fiat-coupe-20vt-turbo-handbrake-lever-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/x2IAAOxy1RZSXugv/$(KGrHqR,!pIFJV)jONgDBS(ugt37k!~~60_12.JP G[/img]

Edited to say, mounts are threaded for an M8

[Edited on 30/3/14 by matt_gsxr]

PorkChop

posted on 30/3/14 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Trigger handbrakes are rather smart looking, but they aren't the cheapest.
loggyboy

posted on 31/3/14 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
I moved mine from the standard striker location (pass side tunnel by gear stick) as I didn't like the idea of the passengers leg against the boxing. I think if its in the tunnel then its an ok location. But as the tunnel is so narrow on the striker I moved it to the tunnel top between seats.

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 31/3/14 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I moved mine from the standard striker location (pass side tunnel by gear stick) as I didn't like the idea of the passengers leg against the boxing. I think if its in the tunnel then its an ok location. But as the tunnel is so narrow on the striker I moved it to the tunnel top between seats.

Interesting thought. I'm actually planning on putting mine on the passenger side even though its a Haynes and there should be plenty of room. I liked it's position on the original MX5 donor and the handbrake trim is also designed to cover the left hand side.

The other alternative I had considered was the other side of the driver, but I think it would use up too much space and be very awkward to operate (or even drive). I'd appreciate any opinions that dispute that though.

JAG

posted on 31/3/14 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I put mine here;

My handbrake lever installation, non-standard.
My handbrake lever installation, non-standard.

Mainly because I didn't want to keep banging my left arm on the damn thing. This works well for me and my passengers

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

skov

posted on 31/3/14 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I used a modified mx5 handbrake lever and mounted it towards the passenger side of the tunnel to leave space to rest my arm.
I suspect it'd pee me off no end if I had it right in the middle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.