Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer panels - what material?
Dangle_kt

posted on 7/4/14 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer panels - what material?

I have been slowly turning my old trailer into a covered trailer.

Started by making a steel frame that slotted into oversized steel sectioned welded to the chassis (so the frame could be removed), then I bought an old trailer curtain side and used PVC welding described on here to make a full sized tilt for the frame.

It works ok, but will never be perfect as the wind pressure hits the front face and bows the material in, plus getting a good fit is really hard on such large peices of such thick material.

So I am considering sacrificing the ability to remove the cover, and welding in extra supports and fixing some form of panels to the trailer to make it more solid, and less effected by head winds....I may as well do the lot than just do the front.

So I'm after inspiration please, what would be the best value material to do this with?

I've read gloss ply/dry freight boards are good for it, but I doubt they will be cheap...any pointers would be gratefully received.

Cheers

owelly

posted on 7/4/14 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Buy an old Luton van body and chop it up. They are often seen on Ebay for £100-£300 depending on luck/location or try a truck/commercial breakers to see if they have any you can butcher. The fibreglass ones would be best but the ally ones are equally usable!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 8/4/14 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
I used twinwall plastic sheeting on mine

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phil m

posted on 8/4/14 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
I used Phenolic ply. This is the ply sandwiched between two layers of a resin based material.

It's readily available from builders merchants and very durable and neat

Phil

Irony

posted on 8/4/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Phenolic Plywood is what most trailer manufacturers should use on there trailer floors. At work we replaced all our trailer beds with it. The sides of our trailers are diabond. A aluminium/nylon sandwich.
coyoteboy

posted on 8/4/14 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'd be going down the line of composite/honeycomb panels myself, they don't have to be expensive carbon/alu combinations, there's loads out there available in sheet form and all the fittings to mate them together securely.

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/4/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Any tips on the sort of places that sell these materials? Then i can compare prices.

Cheers

Not Anumber

posted on 8/4/14 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I used recycled floorboards that i then soaked in creosote and old engine oil. It cost almost nothing and lasted for years.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.