Author: Subject: Child seat for full harness
ali f27

posted on 22/4/14 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Child seat for full harness

Any idea if i can get a child seat that will work with a full harness
Cheers Ali

sdh2903

posted on 22/4/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
You could probably make one work. But as for one off the shelf? No chance.
bi22le

posted on 22/4/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Its quite obvious where you are going with this!!

It all depends on how much you value the child!!

Seriously though, depending on age of child and the mods you happy to make to the car.

I would consider fitting a standard lap and diag or making and fitting an ISO style mounting.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

whitestu

posted on 22/4/14 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
If it is for a 7 I found that any booster seat lifted the kids up making them more vulnerable.

The law is a bit vague on what is required, but I think the best option is just get the harness done up nice and tight, and use your common sense to check they seem safe.

I wouldn't take my kids in the car if they were really small though.

woodstock

posted on 22/4/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
If it is for a 7 I found that any booster seat lifted the kids up making them more vulnerable.

The law is a bit vague on what is required, but I think the best option is just get the harness done up nice and tight, and use your common sense to check they seem safe.

I wouldn't take my kids in the car if they were really small though.

This is a concern. I used to use a Bubble Bum in My S2000 as it is nice and slim but moved the lap belt part from the abdomen to the lap which is important. In my case it also made plugging in the belt a lot easier as you didn't have to fight past the solid arms that most boosters have.

If it's a four point harness I think one of these might work well for a child old enough to be in a booster but you'd have to try it. If you're local I could look mine out and you could try it

For a younger child I think you'll struggle but I'd look to get one with base that you can then adapt in some way. I'm not sure if I'd want to take that risk though with a young child.

ali f27

posted on 22/4/14 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
My nephews second boy spends all his time with me in the workshop sitting in the car and i have given him little rides round the village he is desperate to go with me and i have no problem with keeping him safe but would like to keep within the law thanks for the valid points and keep them comming.
Cheers ALI

scudderfish

posted on 22/4/14 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you are concerned about legality, then you cannot modify the booster seat in any way for it to remain type approved. For my daughter I bought a simple booster (like the one linked above), which was an expanded polystyrene block with a fabric cover. I made a fitting it sat on to locate it on the cushion of the seat just so it wouldn’t slide around before doing up the 4 point harness. It worked well enough, but ultimately got cracked by being stood on one time too many.
StevieB

posted on 22/4/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
We got a polystyrene booster which is meant to go between two other child seats, so it's a bit slimmer and fits in the westfield race seats nicely.

I put my boy in it at the weekend to test fit (he's 6, as a guide to his size) and it seemed to be ok. Then I grabbed his ankles and gave a slight tug forwards, which dragged him down the harness and we could see that with any major force the only place he'd stop would be his neck on the lap belt.

On the plus side, I now have a carrot to dangle so we see clean plates at every meal time, but he won't be going out in the car any time soon...

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 22/4/14 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I made my half brother in law wait till he was 13 before I felt he was tall enough to not slide down and out of the 4 pointer.. to which I agree the lap belt meets the neck.

a mate has had is son driving around in is avon from 9, but he has a 3 point belt.. Is far more suited to kids and seemed safe enough from a keeping him in the seat point of view.

owelly

posted on 22/4/14 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap, but CE marked, polystyrene child seat from Makro for £15. I took the cover off and trimmed the polystyrene so it fitted tightly into the fibreglass seat and put the cover back on. When belted in and the straps adjusted nice and tight, my boy was more secure then he ever is in the ISO-FIX seats we have in out tin-tops!
I had no worries about taking him out for a ride in the car.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andi

posted on 22/4/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing what folk used to get away with what passed for "safe"

http://hollywoodsgarage.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/childseat.jpg

Andi

IanG1

posted on 23/4/14 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I bought a cheap, but CE marked, polystyrene child seat from Makro for £15. I took the cover off and trimmed the polystyrene so it fitted tightly into the fibreglass seat and put the cover back on. When belted in and the straps adjusted nice and tight, my boy was more secure then he ever is in the ISO-FIX seats we have in out tin-tops!
I had no worries about taking him out for a ride in the car.

I did exactly the same to fit a Westfield sports seat. Worked well with the straps nice and tight.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.