Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost for sale
Dave Ashurst

posted on 30/4/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Locost for sale

Car for sale, £2750

Locost. Tuned 1700 crossflow. Tax and MOT to end March 2015. Located near Worcester.

It goes OK. A bit noisy, smelly and cosmetically used-looking.
Due to our long-term, old house project it's been mostly sat in the garage this year, which seems a waste.

Details on request and see some photos in my archive.

D

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

MikeR

posted on 30/4/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nooooooooooooooooooo.............

Don't sell it - and if you do its got to be worth a lot more than that.

prawnabie

posted on 30/4/14 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I second that Dave!
twybrow

posted on 30/4/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
No Dave! That was one of the cars that inspired my build! That is too cheap - I am sorely tempted!
teegray19

posted on 1/5/14 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, il drop you a u2u to discuss.

Built Formular 27 with 1600cc crossflow, 1700cc 0 miles crossflow, Kawasaki ZZR1100

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 1/5/14 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Toooo cheap .Stick an other grand on top .
steve m

posted on 1/5/14 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Nooo

What another one up for sale (Keiths)

I could not sell my locost, as the financial return would never out way the pain sweat and fun ive had

regards

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Dick Axtell

posted on 1/5/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I could not sell my locost, as the financial return would never out way the pain sweat and fun ive had

My feeling also. And I would stick to it, but will have to be practical, 'cos I'll reach a point where it has to go - before I do!

Dave Ashurst wrote - "It goes OK. A bit noisy, smelly and cosmetically used-looking."

Yeah, me too. Well, what do expect from a 73-year-old??

[Edited on 1/5/14 by Dick Axtell]

[Edited on 1/5/14 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/5/14 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Know the feeling

Sold mine a few months back for several reasons. Knew she was worth more than I got, but the 'up' side is that she stays in my old club and I know she'll get used and improved. Spent 7 years building her from scratch had lots of fun building and driving so another feather in the cap

With any luck, one day.......

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MP3C

posted on 1/5/14 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
If I had seen this last year when I was looking for a kit car, I would have snapped your hand off at the offer! To me it seems too cheap is I struggled to find a reasonably well built for less than £3500 which suggests to me that you have under valued it - Hope the sale goes ok and hope the buyer realises he is getting a bargain but if I was you from what everybody is saying I would chuck another £1k on there as it looks worth more than you are offering

also

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell

Dave Ashurst wrote - "It goes OK. A bit noisy, smelly and cosmetically used-looking."

Yeah, me too. Well, what do expect from a 73-year-old??

That comment made me laugh

Matt

swanny

posted on 1/5/14 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
we sold our 12 year old robin hood series 2 for more than that to a dealer in holland. cash arrived day before, he arranged all shipping etc. very easy sale. agreed price via email.

i'd say yours is worth more than that too. but if you want a quick easy sale i can send you his details.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 1/5/14 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, guys. It is of course worth a lot more in sentimental value at least, but I've had a lot of use out of it, it needs looking after and I'd like it to go to a good home.

Anyway meanwhile some spec, if you're interested:
The current engine was professionally built for me (in 2008 I think) by a race-engine builder, using heavy duty bearings and bolts throughout (cosworth bolts at bottom end), fully statically and dynamically balanced in sequence, pistons, rods, crank, flywheel and clutch, nice tractable k234 cam, a full-race Oselli head (cue choir of angels..) with steel rocker posts and double valve-springs, twin dcoe40s with deep K&N filters, tuned 4:1 s/s exhaust with repackable silencer.
It has a modified sump and oil pickup pipe, high pressure/high flow oil pump. High-torque starter, lightweight flywheel, AC racing organic clutch, quickshift gearlever, balanced dave mac prop. Ford English live axle with 3.54:1 diff (oooh nice). Suspension was professionally set up quite a while ago (2009'ish) by Matt and Ivan and the gaz dampers were tested, calibrated, springs selected and suspension reassembled and corner weighted (that last item with driver in the car as I recall).
It has comfy semi-recumbent leather seats, Willans 4 point clubman harnesses, heater, windscreen, wipers, lights, dashboard instruments, including a rev counter, oil pressure gauge, approximate speedometer, dysfunctional temperature and fuel gauges, and some very helpful sequential shift lights.
Tyres are 185/60/13 front, 205/60/13 rear.
Weight measured at SVA was front axle 278kg and rear axle 278kg with full fluids and no driver. It's probably the same now.
I run it on high octane pump fuel, and either Valvoline VR1 20w50 mineral or Millers CSS 20w60 semi-synthetic engine oil. (Fully synthetic oil tends to eventually leak past the crank seal in my experience. Something to do with the rubber type. Anyway these two don't.)

I used it to commute weekly to work in Utrecht for a couple of years to 2011, whenever the weather was reasonable. It's like a drug.

The last time I decided to sell it was about 5 years ago and then my wife persuaded me not to. So I got cold feet and quickly pulled the Pistonheads advert but already had a swarm of responses. Reading your responses I now have a nagging feeling that I advertised it then for close on £4000.

I haven't told her about this yet, so watch this space!!

D

[Edited on 3/5/14 by Dave Ashurst]

Dave Ashurst

posted on 1/5/14 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
P.S. I've got loads of other bits of course, not included with the car.

e.g. New nosecone, two sets of new rear wings, a full set of smiths instruments, a couple of blank dashboards, a fabulous Quaife heavy-duty syncro Rocket gearbox, a type C gearbox from a hillclimb mallock, bellhousings inc an RS2000 alloy one, my previous engine (another race-built crossflow by the same engine builder) which has a spanking good rally head and a high flat torque curve (only swapped it out to get a bit more top end power), an old scholar 5-port dry-sump pump to fit the standard pump drive, a dry sump tank, an ultimate big-valve head with offset valve-guides, and a pile of other old crossflow engine parts from cannibalised engines including one or two spare cranks.

If I do sell this car then they will be sold soon after.

D

Slimy38

posted on 1/5/14 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Someone is going to get a whole load of car for £2750... I think it being 'used looking' actually adds to the car, things like the worn seats and even the number plate makes it look like a proper classic.

You could at least give it one last run to Stoneleigh, stick a for sale sign on it when you're there?

If my build comes out as half as good as that I'd be happy.

Dick Axtell

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
You could at least give it one last run to Stoneleigh, stick a for sale sign on it when you're there.

Hope to see you there on Mon.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

MikeR

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
If I wasn't in the middle of looking to buy a house I'd be down with some cash and the promise its yours when you want it back.

You inspired me so many times to keep going.

Let me know when the parts clear out starts, i'll hopefully have some money hidden from the misses.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 3/5/14 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the U2U's.

Sorry, but I regret I won't be going to Stoneleigh. I've got too much work to do on the house.

If you want to come and see the car and can get here you'll be welcome.

If you haven't got my number drop me a U2U.

D

craig

posted on 3/5/14 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just registered as im looking to fill a void left by my recent cobra replica sale!
Would be interested in hearing some more and possibly viewing the car, have sent you a u2u but not sure if you got it.

treeuk

posted on 4/5/14 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
locost

Hi Any chance of some pics sent to treeuk@gmail.com I am up in Yorkshire so a long way to come and view without any idea of what it looks like cheers

si

Dave Ashurst

posted on 4/5/14 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by treeuk
Hi Any chance of some pics sent to treeuk@gmail.com I am up in Yorkshire so a long way to come and view without any idea of what it looks like cheers

Easier still look in my photo archive.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 4/5/14 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig
Ive just registered as im looking to fill a void left by my recent cobra replica sale!
Would be interested in hearing some more and possibly viewing the car, have sent you a u2u but not sure if you got it.

Yes and replied by U2U.
Better be quick to call me though.
People are coming to see it today and tomorrow.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 4/5/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Now sold, subject to formalities.
Thanks for all the interest.

regards
Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.