Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help! Ipad to tv link
robinj66

posted on 7/5/14 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Help! Ipad to tv link

I am trying to watch Amazon Instant video on the tv screen via an Ipad 2. The physical link is via a good quality hdmi cable.

The tv is a post 2010 LG (32LD320 - AZ). The trouble is that the screen only displays the Ipad for a couple of seconds and then says that there is no signal. This happens with both hdmi ports and with a different hdmi cable.

The cables/tv work with a dvd player with no problems.

The ipad/hdmi combo work on our other tv (also an LG) fine.

If I connect up my laptop to the tv via hdmi then picture is fine but no audio (except on the laptop itself - a Fujitsu Lifebook) but strangely this combo works fine on the other tv.

I've been through the manuals and tried to compare the menu/settings on each tv but I can't find an answer.

Can anyone help? (SWMBO is driving me mad with this!!)

Slimy38

posted on 7/5/14 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
First one, the fujitsu lifebook no sound. I have exactly the same with my Samsung laptop and LG TV, apparently it's because only one HDMI socket works with the laptop. I don't know the difference between HDMI sockets, but simply plugging it into the right socket on the TV got me sound. The fact it works fine on the other TV suggests yours is the same. You said you'd tried the ipad in both, did you try the laptop in both?

You also sometimes have to tell the laptop to use the HDMI as an audio output, I think that's in the sound settings. But for me it switched automatically, and it was the TV at fault.

For the HDMI from the tablet, the only time I've done that was from an Android tab, and I remember that it had to be plugged in to a power supply at the time. It didn't like running from battery and had similar behaviour to your ipad in that it only worked for a few seconds before the TV lost the signal.

robinj66

posted on 7/5/14 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply.

Laptop tried in both tv's - works in the other one perfectly (sound & vision) but no sound in this tv.

Just tried the Ipad with the charger connected as well - no joy - still says no signal.

britishtrident

posted on 7/5/14 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
The main problem with Amazon Prime Instant is only a few TV devices support it.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

robinj66

posted on 7/5/14 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I should have said - you can watch streaming video on the ipad - the problem is connecting it up to the tv screen
ChrisW

posted on 7/5/14 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Is Amazon compatible with Chromecast? If so that's the best way forward. If not, Netflix supports it...

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scuzzle

posted on 7/5/14 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using a full size HDMI lead and the dock, if so try turning the HDMI lead round the other way as some are directional and will only work properly one way round.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 7/5/14 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think the problem sounds more like an HDMI sync problem.
Some of the new tv's no longer work with HDMI through older kit.

For example, I've got an onkyo 606 amp which is smashing - works wonderful.
I bought a new LED TV - samsung UE46F6500 and now the HDMI 1 port shows "unable to connect - make sure your device is turned on" error message.

A bit of a google later and the summary is that I'm not the first person to suffer this - the old kit can't be used with new kit. I would say that hdmi 1.3 and 1.4 might have something to do with it, but I'm unsure - I just know that something is wonky.

So now, I've got to go buy another amp - I'm not happy!!
I'd take the TV back but I've cut a hole the size of the tv into the wall so it's flush now.

Bloody new technology !! grrrrrr!!

(And relax....)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.