Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clean sheet of paper, what v6 3.0 or under?
NS Dev

posted on 17/5/14 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Clean sheet of paper, what v6 3.0 or under?

Hi folks!

Thought would canvas for opinion on here.

I'm trying to decide on a suitable 3.0 litre or under, v6 engine for modifying fairly heavily for a motorsport application.

I'm looking for something lightweight, so alloy block is pretty essential.

It needs to be 24 valve, and a "normal" twin cam over bucket tappet design would be preferable.

Needs to be strong enough to not fall apart generating around 550hp (obviously not normally aspirated!) when fitted with steel rods, forged pistons etc etc.

Lastly, it needs to be inexpensive. Obviously I don't mean cheap. Equally though, I have been looking at Nissan R35 GTR engines and as a base engine they seem pricey given the amount of parts that would end up in the bin. I guess EXCLUDING labour (I'd be buiding it myself and the machining work would not cost me a lot) I'd like to be able to get the engine together for less than £10k

At the moment, I'm quite drawn by the Toyota/Lexus 1mz v6, but I'm very much open to suggestions!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

twybrow

posted on 17/5/14 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
How about the 350z motor? I am really surprised no one has used one yet, as they make 300bhp as standard, and come with a nice gearbox as well....
NS Dev

posted on 17/5/14 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
3.5L capacity, puts it in an uncompetitive situation once a 1.7:1 forced induction factor is applied.

otherwise would be perfect!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

twybrow

posted on 17/5/14 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
3.5L capacity, puts it in an uncompetitive situation once a 1.7:1 forced induction factor is applied.

otherwise would be perfect!

Doh! The clue will be in the 350 bit!

sdh2903

posted on 17/5/14 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mondeo st220 duratec v6 or jag equivalent aj-v6? (but this has vvt not sure if that's on your wish list or not)

All alloy. Twin cam and 24v. Seen a couple of supercharged st220s running 400+ bhp with no issues (once the stupid DMF is swapped for a heavy duty clutch and solid flywheel)

theduck

posted on 17/5/14 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
300zx? 3.0v6 with 300bhp as standard and ready to take more boost.
sdh2903

posted on 17/5/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Mondeo st220 duratec v6 or jag equivalent aj-v6? (but this has vvt not sure if that's on your wish list or not)

All alloy. Twin cam and 24v. Seen a couple of supercharged st220s running 400+ bhp with no issues (once the stupid DMF is swapped for a heavy duty clutch and solid flywheel)

For examples of the ford v6 with forced induction might be worth seeing how noble used it. I believe they used a twin turbo setup

NS Dev

posted on 17/5/14 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
all interesting, keep em coming!

I'd like an alloy block really (don't want much do I!) and I think the ford is iron and certainly the 300zx is.......

mark chandler

posted on 17/5/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Scrap a 3.0 litre S type jaguar, they go for peanuts relatively

[Edited on 17/5/14 by mark chandler]

sdh2903

posted on 17/5/14 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ford 3.0 st220 and the ajv6 from the Jag are all alloy. The older 2.5 is iron.
Ugg10

posted on 17/5/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent.

Well three actually as I kept thinking of more info. Sorry to bombard you.

[Edited on 17/5/14 by Ugg10]

sebastiaan

posted on 17/5/14 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't Noble use the ford V6 in turbo'd form? Might save you some engineering headaches as they would have sorted out a lot of the niggles?
Slimy38

posted on 17/5/14 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
The VAG VR5/VR6 are mostly within your engine capacity (apart from the 3.2 variant), and there have been some big number turbo's from both 5 and 6 cylinder engines. No idea whether it's an ally block or whether a narrow V is still within the rules?
Volvorsport

posted on 17/5/14 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
prv6......

look for a venturi or alpine engine ...well within budget .

even the 8v motors will do 500 with enough boost ...all alloy aswell

is it a capacity or cylinders thing ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

owelly

posted on 17/5/14 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I know where there is a spare PRV6 but I'd be more inclined to use the Peugeot V6..... 240hp from the box. 280 with a bit of tweaking...

ETA: It's a 24v all alooy unit and weighs in at under 180kg complete with standard flywheel, starter motor, etc. Alternator not included...

[Edited on 17/5/14 by owelly]

[Edited on 17/5/14 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 17/5/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure will hall runs a modified 350z v6 in the force and he's currently going well at the top of BHC at the moment. Think he's even won some run offs this year

Nickp

posted on 18/5/14 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
At the moment, I'm quite drawn by the Toyota/Lexus 1mz v6, but I'm very much open to suggestions!!

That's what I was going to suggest, very popular for MR2 conversions.

If you do go down the Ford / Noble route then I know a man that's just rebuilt his Noble and may have a spare engine etc . Either way he'll certainly be able to offer some advice on those engines (his has Arrow rods and Cosworth pistons etc)

samjc

posted on 18/5/14 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i currently have a ford duratec v6 as a back burner project and it is a all alloy block i can possibly get a weight somepoint this week. Also looking over gearbox choices as can only see the jaguar s type box, sump and pickup pipe being the easier option and with little mods im looking at a easy 250-300bhp.
ettore bugatti

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa Busso v6; this one gets 490 out of 3.2 l:
http://www.turbonutter.net/specification.htm

As said before the PSA ES9J4S, with twin turbos (and enlarged to 3.2) by Sodemo in the Courage C60 Pescarolo Sport good for over 550hp

Rover KV6? Only 2.5 but a very interesting engine from an engineering point of view.
Not often modified, I found one that is pushing 245hp N/A:
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=49300&page=5

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.