Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2011 Spire GT-3 RGB Racer
yellowcab

posted on 4/7/16 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Not a BEC, infact I don't even drive the Spire anymore which is the title if this thread, but I'll keep it all in here anyway

This weekend, this happened

https://youtu.be/LoV8Q8qO5wA

Andy D

posted on 4/7/16 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just like your old play station eh? Superb!
yellowcab

posted on 22/7/16 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Onboard with #30 Oliver Hewitt for Anglesey Coastal Race 2 in the Disklok RGB Championship.

Starting at the back of the grid in 31st position due to qualifying out of session, gets a mediocre start gaining a couple of places before turn 1.

Makes a tentative line down to the Banking behind Jason Stowe&#8203; & along side his VR debut teammate Joe McCormick&#8203; who took the wider line around the Banking.

Sitting behind Jason Stowe on his way through Church, in the dirty air he looks both ways to see which is the clearer route through, which happens to be the outside of the kink which leads up to the inside of Rocket In alongside Doug Lague&#8203; & Ian Kempson&#8203;.

Around Rocket Out side by side, Olly tries to follow Doug through, but Doug's Spire gets a little out of shape and clinks the back of Kevin Bolton&#8203;s Arion, where Stephen Bell&#8203; passes on the outside down the to Corkscrew… Doug & Kempston retain positions.

Sitting behind Steve Bell down the start finish straight, Olly has a look but Steve shuts the door, so sits & behind and heads down towards Banking where Olly has another look, and Bell gentley closes the door again, so Olly gets a slightly better run out, and overtakes Bell on the outside of Church on the run up to Rocket In, where he passes Bolton, Lague, Kempston & Max Windheuser.

First bit of clean air upto Tony Gaunt where Olly catches him just before turn 1 of lap 3, and Dominic Gulotti&#8203; in the Banking as he left room (ta). Clear run up to Rocket In allows Olly to catch James Walker&#8203; & Jon McGill , but with similar speeds… he's unable to make the pass until the following lap, again on the brakes on the run up to Rocket In of lap 5, and runs wide at Peel allowing Jon McGill to almost do the undercut.

Onto Lap 6, behind Sam Cook&#8203; at Banking, Sam leaves plenty of room (thanks), and Olly gets traction out alongside Mark Betts&#8203; and sees Richard Webb&#8203; battling with John Whatley&#8203; at Church, overtakes on the outside and out brakes Whatley into Rocket In… and caught Tim Hoverd&#8203; after he made a slight error down into the Corkscrew.

Second bit of clean air allowed Olly to reduce the gap between him and the next two cars, which were Matt Higginson&#8203; & David Watson&#8203;, took a lap to close the gap, but on lap 8 he got the run out of Banking on Higginson, and took the inside line through Church and Matt snuck in behind to get the tow from Olly.

The presumption was Olly would have enough closing speed to get to the apex of Rocket In before Dave Watson, but he quite rightly defended, and put his car in the middle of the road, so Olly sat behind for Rocket In, and Rocket Out when Olly tried to make the move at Peel, only to overcook, run wide… immediately apologising to Watson by holding his hand up.

Now laps 9 and 10 were hunting down Colin Chapman&#8203;, which was no mean feat - a cracking battle but managed to pip him on the exit of Banking on the very last lap 12 - but no time left to catch Daniel James Larner&#8203; & Paul Rogers&#8203;! who finished in 5th & 6th

Top four finishers:
1. Billy Albone&#8203;
2. John Cutmore&#8203;
3. Scott Mittell&#8203;
4. Alastair Boulton&#8203;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K5LneVHuqQ

yellowcab

posted on 7/9/16 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Rather than a 13minute single race video, thought we'd split it up into best laps in rather different conditions.

Fastest lap in testing on Friday 19th, followed by fastest lap in qualifying on Saturday 20th… putting Olly on the front row of the grid in P2… then a fairly short (3 lap race before a glance with the barrier)

Then the start of Race 2… until it gets boring to watch - finally with his fastest lap of the weekend with a 1:09.84s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7hRwsRpB14

yellowcab

posted on 2/10/16 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
The season finale - qualified 4th with a 1:36.99

Relatively good start and got upto 3rd before turn 1, but being on the outside I came out 4th… down Craners for the first time, saw Billy & JC come rather close (0:33) into Old Hairpin which unfortunately for JC seen him on off the circuit (0:40), gifting me 3rd position which I maintained.

Car felt strong, and got a tow from Billy down the back straight a little at 1:09, down to Melbourne Loop, nice control exit and tried not to get over exuberant so a short shift to keep the wheels from spinning.

Lap two, same again, smoothly does it, then I felt brave at 1:58, but BA did the cutback… I'll try again… then Scott appeared to have a problem (2:18) which saw Me & Billy over take on either side… until I realised he must've seen the red flags before us! lol

A restart from original grid positions

Restart not so well, back upto 3rd then back to 4th, a busier first corner this time with Al Boulton & Dan Larner in the mix.

First lap all in 4th position, until the start of lap two at 4:03 when I got alongside Al all the way down the start finish straight, but on the outside for turn 1… giving plenty of room for him to have his apex… around the outside we go together… and down the Craners side by side 4:30 then the intention was to try and catch JC & Billy but I knew my clutch was slipping with any slight breath on the pedal or even bumps in the road.

Got squiffy out of the chicane at 5:20 which gave Al a run on me, I let him have the apex with the intention of doing the cut back… but Dan Larner clinked me into a spin at 5:33

Tried to keep revs high and spin to carry on, but I did a 180, then had to rejoin as quickly as possible I was on the racing line and would have got cleared up.

Took the first few corners to settle myself and to not overdrive or lunch anyone, but clutch started getting worse chasing Dave Watson around 6:40 ish… got a run out of McCleans upto Coppice, then Chapman down Starkeys

Around Melbourne Loop, tried to be gentle on the down changes whilst using the clutch, and alongside Doug Lague at 7:41 but gave him a very wide line as I thought he was on my inside at the next hairpin (looking back at footage, he wasn't)

At 8:14 I could see I had approached Hoverd pretty quickly and seen that he was having issues with his mirrors, as he was moving them, so waited until 8:44 on the straight before passing him, to be sure he could see me. Caught Higgo at the chicane, but again, was tentative going through side by side at 8:45

9:18 sees the start of my fastest lap of the race, which was my first lap without any traffic but clutch on up changes was getting very laggy and sloppy as you can hear especially at 10:01 and 10:26

I could see Whatley was ahead of me, but couldn't judge how long we had left my time was on 20minutes, but we'd had a big red flag delay, so was keeping my eye out for last lap board, another clear lap chasing down Whatley to catch him, but cocked my lap up with a large moment at Coppice at 11:53 (thought it was going proper)

A cheeky point ahead at 12:40 to Whatley to say 'I'm coming to get you!" but knew clutch was on its way out - just hoping it'd last me unfortunately for John, a 94mph entry speed into Old Hairpin seen him touch mud and spin at 13:06 so I kindly call him a w….ker as we do when we get things wrong.

14:17 was last lap, and I knew I wouldn't catch Paul Rogers despite being able to see him up in the distance, but I didn't expect to gain a place by seeing Dan Larner sat at the side of the circuit playing doughnuts at 15:25 I also gave him the w….ker sign out of courtesy

Then to take chequered flag of my final ever RGB meeting… ending with 5th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxu71B-9QYY

Andy D

posted on 3/10/16 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Good write up.
You've come a hell of a long way in a relatively short time. From shonky trackdayer to international jet setting sportscar racer! (There's the title for your novel.. )
Cant watch the vid at the mo, as my bloody tinternet is playing up!

Andy D

posted on 3/10/16 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
BB held together enough to view the vid. Excellent!
yellowcab

posted on 3/10/16 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
From shonky trackdayer to international jet setting sportscar racer!

Right then right there - thats it - you're getting royalties of that mofo!

My post to the RGB guys was:

"So I was going to say a few words at the end of prize-giving, but could feel myself getting emotional, so bailed out of it.

Just would like to say a massive "thank-you" from me, to every racer out there that I've had the pleasure of racing alongside, my journey was short, only just over 2 years.

From the hooligan you can all remember at Snetterton 2014, exceeding track limits 9 times in one race... To today achieving the fastest lap.

I may never have won a race, which is a shame, but I feel proud of what I've achieved. And I started as an empty sponge, listening to all the advice thrown at me, and here I am.

I genuinely feel there are people in the paddock, and on the grid that really wanted me to do well.

To the boys that made this possible, the VR team, I thank them every meeting for making it possible.

It's been a pleasure guys.
Olly out."

yellowcab

posted on 15/11/16 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
It seems I've bought a Phoneix to continue racing in RGB

Swapping classes from R to F

Andy D

posted on 15/11/16 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
It seems I've bought a Phoneix to continue racing in RGB

Swapping classes from R to F

As well as international Praga?

loggyboy

posted on 15/11/16 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Saw this on FB.. good news and good luck!

Mistral Motorsport

<<  9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.