Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ldv maxus help
jchaynes

posted on 23/5/14 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
ldv maxus help

If anyone can be bothered to read my essay anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

I will give you the whole story just in case anything is related.

I bought a 2006 van With 80000 on the clock which ran well it always turned over a couple of times before starting but nothing alarming.

When it was really cold last winter i couldn't start it and I changed the glow pugs which then solved the problem.

A few months after this the van started to become more difficult to start but there didn't seem to be a pattern.

One day I couldn't get it started at all so called RAC and when the guy turned up he turned the key and it started. he said it was fuel draining back, so he said to pump the fuel filter pump before starting, but I later found that this didn't make a difference.

Also a note is that after the van had been started it would then start again no probs.

The van then stopped starting at all.
I took it to a garage which it has been in ever since.

They couldn't get any diagnostics off the van (which I can vouch for as the RAC man plugged in his laptop and couldn't get any more than 2 readings) so they sent the ECU to be tested which said the ecu was nackered and couldn't be fixed.
They bought another one of eBay which when fitted didn't get the van running but did then give them all the information on the computer.

They then said they there was a fuel pressure problem and the injectors were shot so they were tested and found to be nackered.

They also tested the high pressure diesel pump that was fine. So they replaced the injectors which has now got the van running.

But they say it is still not starting well and once its running its smoking a bit and they said there is some oil coming from the rocker breather and in the inlet manifold.

They have checked the timing and done a compression test all of which were between 200 and 250 psi.

There is also now a fault code that is apparently an accelerator pedal fault that when they take the van out puts it into a limp home mode but it doesn't seem like that would effect the starting/smoking and oil things

I am now at a complete loss as to what to and would really like to know your thoughts.

And yes a can of petrol and a match has already been considered.

JoelP

posted on 23/5/14 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I can't help with the problem but thanks for sharing - I was thinking of getting one but that sounds awful

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jchaynes

posted on 23/5/14 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I was in the middle of converting it to a camper so I'm in so deep that I can't let it beat me!! But yes on reflection there may be better vans out there!
bigrich

posted on 23/5/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Main things that stop Maxus starting up are
Incorrectly rated battery. They should be fitted with a 900 A/h battery not the 680 that was initially used at start of production.
Secondly crank sensor airgap becomes an issue due to block corrosion lifting and distorting the sensor. Also if the sensor has been removed they can be awkward to reinstall correctly and often get damage by use of the bolt to pull them home.

High pressure pumps generally good and if failing Do so under load.
Hth Bigrich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

jchaynes

posted on 23/5/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks rich any ideas on the smokey running and this oil coming from the rocker breather? I don't know if those compression readings are any good as can't find info on what they should be.
bigrich

posted on 23/5/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Chech the air induction pipe from airbox to turbo. The plastic degrades and blocks the stub where the breather hose joins it, they also split and swell up.. This was modified to a different hose on production. Changed literally hundreds of them for blue smoking and oil leaks
Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

jchaynes

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi rich. The garage has said they have checked those and still doesn't seem to help would you mind if the guy called you as its my last attempt at getting this thing running before the costs become unviable. It would be a great help if you don't mind. Thanks john

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.