Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting carbon
Steve ads

posted on 24/5/14 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Cutting carbon

I'm thinking of re doing my dash and a few other bits of a locost I bought in carbon so just after any advice on where's best to get carbon sheet and what's the best way to cut it to shape cheers in advance Steve
pewe

posted on 24/5/14 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've used Bosch Rotocut bits sucessfully on GRP before.
Don't know about C/F but worth a try?
Also Dremel Spiral Tile cutter bits are very similar.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe10

twybrow

posted on 24/5/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve ads
I'm thinking of re doing my dash and a few other bits of a locost I bought in carbon so just after any advice on where's best to get carbon sheet and what's the best way to cut it to shape cheers in advance Steve

Do a search on here! I have commented at least 5 times about cutting CF! Tape up where you plan to cut using masking tape, and cut using a Dremel wheel, or a good hacksaw blade. One of the best tools is a diamond wheel (tile cuttter) if you have one - and keeping it wet will help keep dust down.

As for where to buy sheets, I would search on eBay. There are plenty of places to buy from (Carbon Mods is one suggestion that springs to mind), but you will also find lots of people selling on eBay.

Thatcher

posted on 24/5/14 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Try MCT Composites at Daventry for your sheet..... To cut it use a 1.5mm cutting disc in a 4" or 100mm angle grinder for straight lines and a diamond burr in a die grinder for any curved or wiggly lines.....
Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 27/5/14 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Permagrit suppyl various tungsten carbide bits/blades/finishing & cutting accessories specially developed for cutting composites.

I tend to use a metal 3" cutting disc on an air tool when trimming large panels such as roofs and bonnets. The small and more intricate work I used permagrit grinding/cutting bits for use with a dremel.

As above in regards to masking tape and be very careful not to scratch the carbon surface as its easily done.

Also make sure you have a dust mask as its not the nicest of materials to cut.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Raj

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=183445

Steve ads

posted on 27/5/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys it's pretty much as I thought just wanted to make sure as it's not the cheapest of materials to just mess up n start again

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.