Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: material to use for curved aeroscreen
Mistron

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
material to use for curved aeroscreen

Hi Folks,

Has anyone got any ideas for the best material to use for curved aeroscreen - I'd prefer not to use heat unless I have to.

Here's my mock up in card.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Al

40inches

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
2mm polycarbonate will bend to that form easily

Matt21

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
fibre glass?
Mistron

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
not GRP - I want clear

I wondered about 3mm 'LEXAN CLEAR EXELL D' but wasn't sure it'd take the shape. would 2mm be rigid enough?

Al

austin man

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Why dont you want to heat it as long as you have something to form it around, gentle heating with a hot air gun will be fine

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

40inches

posted on 26/5/14 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mistron
not GRP - I want clear

I wondered about 3mm 'LEXAN CLEAR EXELL D' but wasn't sure it'd take the shape. would 2mm be rigid enough?

Al

2mm would be fine. However I have some 3mm Exell D if you let me know the radius you want to bend to I will see if it will.

[Edited on 27-5-14 by 40inches]

ali f27

posted on 27/5/14 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Why not use bubble screen of motorbike i was going to use ducati one still have it somewhere
Mistron

posted on 27/5/14 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by Mistron
not GRP - I want clear

Al

2mm would be fine. However I have some 3mm Exell D if you let me know the radius you want to bend to I will see if it will.

[Edited on 27-5-14 by 40inches]

It's about 30omm Dia / 150mm radius

Mistron

posted on 24/8/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I'm pleased to confirm that 3mm lexan did the job very well, with the assistance of the gas cooker.

I read all the horror stories about Lexan bubbling internally when you got it hot enough to bend, so I tried it with an off-cut first, then with the screen profile. Both went without incident.

It's not quite tight enough a curve yet - i'm workign it slowly, bit at a time, but it has enough defelction now that it could be bolted into place, but this would mean the screen has stress in it, so I'll probably keep going and get it as good a fit as I can.

Al

Slimy38

posted on 24/8/14 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I bent some plastic I aimed to bend it too far, and accept that it will bounce back a certain percentage. As you already know what you're aiming for, and what you ended up with, you should be able to calculate how far to take it.

With regards to heating, it seemed like it could get relatively hot and pliable without incident. But I didn't have much luck reheating it, that's when things got messy (bubbles and stress cracks from memory). I'm not sure what happens inside but it does seem to be a 'one off'.

I don't know what type of plastic I was heating though, so I suspect your experiences may vary.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.