Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: '91 Eunos (MX-5) free to a good home
ajb955

posted on 26/6/14 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
'91 Eunos (MX-5) free to a good home

Hi,

I have a 1991 Mk1 Eunos Roadster (Japanese import Mazda MX-5) which I've sadly had to decide to let go as the dreaded rust problems just got too bad and it's looking like a big bill to fix it, so I'm probably far better off buying another.

The car failed its MOT last year due to the rust issues and front brake hoses, but I guess neither of these are problems if it's going to be a donor car.

It's the 1600 model - engine code B6ZE(RS) - which being a Eunos means it outputs 114bhp and hasn't had any modifications done to it. This is easier to tune than the 1800 and figures > 130bhp are easily achievable with a few simple mods.

The car has covered 121,000km, which is 75,000 miles approx (average of 3300 miles per year). Up until it came off the road last year it had been regularly serviced and drove very well. The gearbox is smooth and precise, clutch has plenty of travel and the brakes are okay (but the hoses do need replacing). It's also on original Minilite-style wheels which have been refurbished and painted in a mid grey colour, and has a nearly-new set of Firestone TZ-3000 Alpha tyres on, all of which have plenty of tread.

The seats are also in pretty good condition and no doubt there's other bits I've not thought of that could be re-used.

I am unsure whether this particular model has a LSD or not, basically because I've never checked, but I'd probably guess not as it's not the top model produced that year.

All in all it's in good condition and it's only when you get underneath the car that you see what the problems are, but if you're building a Locost then that won't matter!

The car is currently at a body shop in Nuneaton. Postcode CV11 6RP. I sent it over there this week to get a quote for the work, but given the state of the rust I've decided that I just want to get rid of it. It still starts and drives okay but has no tax or MOT and so will need to be trailered away.

I don't want any money for the car but would like someone to collect it from there by Saturday (28th June) so that I don't have to pay to have it bought back home. Sorry for the short notice!

I would also love to see it put to good use rather than scrapped!

I'm not sure if there's anything else you need to know from me, but feel free to message on here or give me a call on (01386) 442 442. If I don't answer then leave a message and I will call you back.

Cheers,
Andrew

Here's a picture taken just before it came off the road:
Free donor car
Free donor car

[Edited on 26/6/14 by ajb955]

clairetoo

posted on 26/6/14 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent....

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

ajb955

posted on 26/6/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Really sorry, but the phone rang within a few minutes of me posting this and the only fair way seemed to be to do 'first-come, first-served'. I thought I'd let everyone know asap and sorry for any disappointment!

On a separate note, if anyone has a Mk1 or Mk2 MX-5 for sale, I'm looking for a replacement. After the rust issues then I reackon it needs to be a UK model, as loads of people say they have better rust protection - is this true or a myth? Would need to be in fairly good condition and I have a budget of about £1500 - £2000.

Cheers,
Andrew

jacko

posted on 26/6/14 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda MX-5 10th Anniversary Special Edition' a genuinely lovely MX5.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=192222
this any good for you

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dmrider_10

posted on 4/7/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you want this car as a donor?

I have a Mk2 RS (6spd, Torsen Diff etc) for sale:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mazda/mx-5-mk2/mx5-mk2-rs-carbing-axxis-federal-rsr/2435702

Its up for more than your budget but I could remove some bits you wont require (seat, rollbar etc) if its a donor?

If you just want a nice mx5, than you can have it for £2500 :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.