Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Crossflow Engine Block Variants
onenastyviper

posted on 1/7/14 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Crossflow Engine Block Variants

Gents, need some advice:

I may have bought an old incomplete 1600cc kent engine on EBay (in a moment of madness).

The block is numbered 2737E6015A, I believe that this is a 1600cc engine and that it is earlier than the 711M6015BA block.

If the unit is OK, I would like to build it up into a working engine.

Does anyone know whether the 711M anciliary parts (ie dizzy, fuel pump, oil pump etc.) will fit this 2737E6015A block and does anyone know what the internal differences are?

Thanks

"If I knew what I was doing then it wouldn't be called research would it?...duh!"

Disgruntled karter

posted on 1/7/14 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
OK the ones I'm aware of are;
Engine breather is smaller
Camshaft uses different followers
con rod big ends are round not square so possibly not as strong
water pump has different pulley fitting
think the earlier crossflow run a chambered head, rather than piston 'bowls' on latter (711) engines, although my belief is that you can run the latter head and piston configuration in an earlier block.

sure there will be somebody that knows far more than me along shortly but a starter for you, but if it was me I would prefer to start with a 711 spec engine.

I grabbed a 'bargain' crossflow for my car and although I thought I'd asked all the right questions I didn't ask the most obvious and yes I got a 681 engine for my car when I thought I was getting a 711.

britishtrident

posted on 1/7/14 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Very early 1600 Cortina Mk2 engines weren't xflos just a longer stroke revised version of the 1500
The xflo came in after about 12 to 18 months of Cortina Mk2 production
Early 1600 xflos had a very shallow combustion chamber in as well as a smaller bowl in piston.

Nearly all kent engine (including some pre-xflo Anglia engine) bits can be interchanged for earlier or later parts, dizzies, water pump oil pumps.
Cranks, cam followers and sumps need a bit of research.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.