Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3 K4 ECU
carse

posted on 19/7/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3 K4 ECU

I fear I may have shorted my ECU as my car is now running very rough - definitely misfiring.

When I put it away from its last run it was fine. Since then I've been messing around with the electrics (building my own shift lights) and now it isn't running right.

Have changed absolutely nothing since running it last time. Since discovering it was running bad, I've changed plugs and coils and it's exactly the same.

So... am looking for a second hand K3/K4 GSXR 1000 ECU - as well as any advice if anybody has any.

Thanks,

Sean

[Edited on 19-7-14 by carse]

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=28450

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
teegray19

posted on 19/7/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried disconnecting the home made shift lights?

You may be sending voltage to the Ecu that doesn't need it or causing a dodgie ground.

That would be my first call before buying a new Ecu?

Built Formular 27 with 1600cc crossflow, 1700cc 0 miles crossflow, Kawasaki ZZR1100

carse

posted on 20/7/14 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
HI,

Probably should have mentioned that was the very first thing I did. Nothing to do with the shift lights is now connected at all.

A little bit of background:

I had a 12V source switched by the ignition coming in to the shift lights circuit and a ground returning to the loom. I also spliced into the yellow wire that takes the RPM feed from the ECU to the clocks - this is where I think I may have damaged something.

When I plugged this wire into the circuit for the shift lights I've been building, the rev counter stopped working. I took it out and the rev counter started working again. No problems.

However, at this point I didn't have the circuit completed - once I did, and this RPM signal was feeding into an opto isolator IC, as soon as I fired the car up it started running all rough.

Now I'm, not saying this is the cause of the problem for definite, but given it ran fine before this - and I've put the car into dealer mode to check for fault codes (there are none reported) - I think I may have done some damage inside the ECU. My own stupid fault really.

Hence me asking if anyone has an ECU for a GSXR 1000 K3 or K4.

Thanks for your reply - all advice very much welcome.

Cheers,

Sean

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rf900rush

posted on 20/7/14 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I could make my zx12 engine show fault codes.
Have you this option one the GSXR ECUs. Might help if you can

[Edited on 20/7/14 by rf900rush]

carse

posted on 20/7/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I do - the thing about "dealer mode" I mentioned above is basically the fault code mode. There are none reported. Nothing for fuel injectors, plugs/coils, fuel pump or anything like that. Which is why I think I may have done some internal damage to the ECU.

Thanks for your help.

Sean

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 20/7/14 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I do have one, though 'spare' it is not. It accompanies the one in the car to the various events. These ECUs are getting a bit ancient now, so be careful buying one, lots of rubbish out there. The coil drivers in these things will have all seen some action and abuse.

I won't let the ECU out of my sight, but if you can get the car to LE11, then I could certainly meet up with you there at some point and we'd plug and play. I have a complete 'spare' working electrical harness for the same racing purposes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.