Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which tool to get into corners?
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 3/8/14 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Which tool to get into corners?

I'm after a tool to use just to take down some welds in awkward locations (corners mainly), so I figured a die grinder may be the best job, I was thinking one of Ferm Rotary Combitool Multitool Combi Multi Tool Die Grinder 40pc 240v Electric as I have neither an air supply nor much money at this point. Any thoughts on this? Push comes to shove I could just try to file them, but I'd prefer not to have to do that

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

dave r

posted on 4/8/14 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
to be honest a hand file will be possibly quicker than one of those....

you would be better off with
click me

better off apart from the pocket that is!...

i have one, and with a carbide burr they rip the metal off

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

mark chandler

posted on 4/8/14 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Those little grinding stones will disappear into dust within seconds, you will also need quality Tungsten carbide burrs

eBay Item

[Edited on 4/8/14 by mark chandler]

Irony

posted on 4/8/14 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
You'll get nowhere with that tiny little thing. I have one and it's really useful for jewellery style grinding stuff. For welds you'll be there all day and you'll be forever breaking bits.

Never used one but I might get one of these hooked up to a 240v drill.

Flexi drill shaft thing

jps

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
I'm after a tool to use just to take down some welds in awkward locations (corners mainly), so I figured a die grinder may be the best job, I was thinking one of Ferm Rotary Combitool Multitool Combi Multi Tool Die Grinder 40pc 240v Electric as I have neither an air supply nor much money at this point. Any thoughts on this? Push comes to shove I could just try to file them, but I'd prefer not to have to do that

I've just done some grinding out of welds in corners using a tool like that rotary one you've linked to - using the tiny grinding stones that are shown in the pic. It did get the job done but the stones were fairly well destroyed and the tool isn't faring much better (the chuck is also knackered).

If I were doing the job again i'd think carefully about whether the welds needed grinding back. For me it wasn't worth spending lots of money on the proper tooling - but equally so the job probably wasn't actually necessary at all!

RE: using a 240v drill - I was advised on here that the speed wouldn't be high enough...

omega 24 v6

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
pear shape rotary burr for the leccy drill.??

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

big_wasa

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Drill would do the job but it will knacker the bearings.
Minicooper

posted on 4/8/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've been using carbibe burrs in my bosch drill for 20 years now, still going strong. It is an old heavy duty drill, metal gears and all so that is probably why it's still going well

Cheers
David

nick205

posted on 4/8/14 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Have to ask...do you actually need to grind the welds down?

Unless you have to fit something square and tight into the corner, why spend time removing material. At best it might look more aesthetically pleasing (if it's even visible) at worst it might weaken then weld.

steve m

posted on 4/8/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
As Nick Said ^^^^^

Any outside welds were a panel may fit flush over I used an angry grinder with a flap wheel, and it got the welds flush with the metal around it,
any non visable welds I left, to add to the strength (I hope!)

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 4/8/14 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I use a powerfile for some of my internal welds, it can get quite deep into a right angle, and the wheel on the end creates a smooth curve in the weld. It can't get very deep into a corner but you can certainly tidy things up. It's close to a flap wheel on a grinder in terms of material removal efficiency.
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 4/8/14 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Have to ask...do you actually need to grind the welds down?

Unless you have to fit something square and tight into the corner, why spend time removing material. At best it might look more aesthetically pleasing (if it's even visible) at worst it might weaken then weld.

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason behind it is that I am not so confident on the quality of a couple of the welds, I want to grind them right back and re-weld them. Also some of them are pretty large and could use some trimming back. I already did this on the ones I can get to with the angle grinder, but to be honest I'd forgotten until a mate popped over yesterday and spotted a couple of the more obvious ones.
Plus I guess if I get a nice tool I may be able to use it for head work and when I do my new exhaust manifold

[Edited on 4/8/14 by Badger_McLetcher]

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.