Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rv8 coil on plug?
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 13/9/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
rv8 coil on plug?

So I have got to the point of thinking about where to mount 2 ford coil packs in my rover v8. Quantum Xtreme.

The only place is right up front, just behind the radiator and I have to make bracketry etc to make them fit there.

I don't know if they work,(second hand) I will need new longer HT cables etc, so some cost and risk is already there.

I am going to be using MS1 extra which can do coil on plug.. so I have read, still on wasted spark.

Any one ever heard of coil on plugs being used in a rover v8 ? any ideas as to which ones I might get away with? I have standard NGK spark plugs in there at present, pretty new.

Can I just get any that look like they will fit in engine bay and be held in place?

thanks for any thoughts

scutter

posted on 13/9/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Try the EFI Extra website at the bottom. Phil has done most things to a RV8

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 13/9/14 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 13/9/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that link, i hadn't spotted that on the site, now to track down the tvr and find out what cop were in use.

Cheers

daxtojeiro

posted on 13/9/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
LS2 Coils can work well, as they are coil near plug. So they have an HT lead output, meaning you can mount the coils on the rocker covers and run an HT lead to each cylinder. They need a 5V signal, and have built in ignitors, so easy to run using an MS in wasted spark mode,
Phil

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 13/9/14 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic, but would you say it would be ok to put the ford coil packs ontop of the rocker covers? I had dismissed that location on the basis that it would get too hot.
Oddified

posted on 14/9/14 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have the coil packs mounted at the front of my V8. Works absolutely fine, double coil pack from a Thor engine mounted above the water pump and only 2 of the original ht leads need to be lengthened. It depends a bit on which engine or combination your using, this is a 4.0 serpentine engine and front end but with a 3.9 manifold/injection/intake system/heater rails running on an Mbe 970 ecu.

SPYDER

posted on 14/9/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
My four cylinder TOYOTA 3SGE engined car is running COP on Megasquirt MS1 V3.
You will need four spark outputs. Phil fitted these when I purchased my MS1.
I used SUZUKI GSXR coils IIRC but this type would be too long for a RV8.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 14/9/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
the LS2 s are pretty pricey, I was trying to swap the price of new leads, for the price of cops. however, I think you are right, unless I can find ones with a bend in it, I am back to sticking with the coil packs, which wont fit under the bonnet on top of the rocker covers anyway, so heat is no problem.

current engine bay and where I am thinking of putting the coil packs, near the rad seems easier, but needs new leads.

It's not a serp, but the front is all changed anyway, it has an electric water pump. The crank pulley just drives the alternator.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 20/10/14 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
hey hey, decided to not quite follow the locost route and bought some ls2s ! I might need to take them off the bracket they are on, but can put them across the top. Unfortunately for me I didn't factor in the need to change the fittings at the end to go into the coils, so my spark leads will probably be too short on a couple.

[Edited on 20/10/14 by Chris_Xtreme]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.