Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Water Neck and Remote Thermostat for KLDE V6
KFC

posted on 30/9/14 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Water Neck and Remote Thermostat for KLDE V6

Hey,
So I'm getting on fairly well with my V6 conversion. I'm trying to make both water pipes come out the front of the engine, I don't want to run the pipe from the front of the block down the "V" out the back into the thermostat and forward again to the rad. The standard water neck can nearly be turned around forward but the angle is slightly wrong as it will interfere with the timing belt.

Has anyone fit another water neck to route the return forward through the timing belt area and fit a remote thermostat? I still find the coolant circuit weird!!

[Edited on 30/9/14 by KFC]

DIY Si

posted on 1/10/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
If you were to turn it round, how would you deal with the coolant outlets on the front of the heads? As it's been a while since my engine was complete, is it possible to put a 180 degree turn on the pipe that runs down the V so it comes out over the cam cover? Or do you not have room for that?

I'm planning on having a metal pipe bolted to the cam covers to run my line forward when I get that far along. I don't want to move away from standard parts and set up if there's no need for it.

What is it about the circuit you find odd? The bit on the back of the engine is the inlet, with the front of the engine being the hot outlet to the rad. It makes sense when it's in an MX-6/Probe, but is a bit of a pain in RWD format.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

KFC

posted on 1/10/14 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try and upload some photos later but as far as I understand, the water comes out of the block to the back into the thermostat and then to the rad. It's been explained to me the other way around but it doesn't make sence to put cold water into a thermostat. Normally the hot water comes out and then into the thermostat, then the rad.
The joining neck at the front to both heads seems the way with cold water but the heater tube comes off it??
There is no room at the back of the engine for a thermostat. The bulkhead is in the way.

DIY Si

posted on 1/10/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
What I know is according to the MX-6 workshop manual, and it clearly shows the lower/cold outlet from the rad going to the thermostat on the back of the engine. Whilst I agree it doesn't make sense, that what the manual shows in all the pictures I can see.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

KFC

posted on 1/10/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
What I know is according to the MX-6 workshop manual, and it clearly shows the lower/cold outlet from the rad going to the thermostat on the back of the engine. Whilst I agree it doesn't make sense, that what the manual shows in all the pictures I can see.

That's the way I've seen it and it just doesn't make sense. Normally the spring side of the thermostat is the hot side and open to allow the hot water out and going to the rad. Very weird, but it works.. I still need both water necks to exit forward and have a remote thermostat, it would just simplify the system and the standard thermostat housing won't fit.

[Edited on 1/10/14 by KFC]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.