Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wiring help needed.
maccavvy

posted on 2/10/14 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
wiring help needed.

My mate has a corrado and the fan wiring is as such . It has 4 wires going into the fan via a controller.
one is earth, the other 3 have 12 volts at each with progressively thicker wiring,the speeds are controlled inside the fan motor itself.
as it gets hotter it clicks a speed progressively.so only one wire it live at any point.

His new set up has twin fans a 9 and 12 inch .
his idea is no matter which wire is live he wants both fans to be on. I think it should be 9 fan,then 12, then both.

can anyone on here come up with diagrams as to how to physically wire it up, he doesn't want to use any more relays as they are already in the controller and hes trying to tidy the wiring up not add more

Understeer , when the front hits a wall
Oversteer, when the back hits a wall
Horsepower ,how fast you hit the wall
Torque ,how far you take the wall with you

Smoking Frog

posted on 2/10/14 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
So a single fan replaced with a twin fan? Not familiar with the wiring but if I understand correctly there is only one wire live at any one time, then the live wire will have to power both fans. I doubt if the single live wire would be up to the job to power both fans at any of the three speeds. Also the controller may not be able to handle the extra power needed. If the two fans only draw the same current as the original single fan (maybe it's bigger) then it may work. Check total watts for both new fans at each speed and check the watts of the original fan.

BTW your idea sounds OK but still need to check that the wiring and controller is up to the job especially when both fans are on.

[Edited on 2/10/14 by Smoking Frog]

maccavvy

posted on 2/10/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the reply

ive been to look at the car today . the oe wiring is more than up to the job of both fans.
the smallest fuse is 20amp. the new twin fans are 17amp

so would it be possible to connect both fans up to earth pin so they would run no matter which pin was live.

or would it be possible to run one fan from 1 and 2 then both of 3 , surely some diode or something would stop feedback from the other pins ??

Smoking Frog

posted on 3/10/14 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Are the new fans a after market set-up or OE from another model. If OE I would have thought the three wires would connect to the fans wiring harness. If after market set-up it will require a lot more thought regarding new power resistors or adapting the existing one. This would require extra cable and components that you friend don't want. Assuming after market set-up I don't think there's an easy answer for controlling the actual speed of two fans. Maybe it could be simplified if the low speed wire was connected to the small fan and the high speed wire connected to the larger fan with a relay that connects the small fan. So both fans would be on when the larger fan is on. But this does not control the speed merely switches them off or on. Clear as mud?
maccavvy

posted on 3/10/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fella. You make sense to me.
The new fans are spal ones. So after market.
The original set up sent lives to the fan and the fan controls the speed
New set up simply needs to be on and off
His idea was to have both running no matter which is live.
I think small.larger and both in 3 stages.but will need another relay imo to switch the stages

Smoking Frog

posted on 4/10/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
May or may not be of use.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5637123-Aftermarket-radiator-w-slim-fans-need-feedback-on-my-wiring-plan/page3

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.