Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle bodies for KLDE V6 choices??
KFC

posted on 5/10/14 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
Throttle bodies for KLDE V6 choices??

Hi all,
I'm building a V6 conversion and I'm at the stage of choosing the right set of throttle bodies. The engine is in and I have enough to get on with it I need to get the right throttle bodies. I bought 2 sets of triumph 595's but didn't realise the port matching was going to be so different. I'll need to make an adapter plate but my issues are the total height. From the cylinder head port face to the inside of the bonnet, ie the top of the airbox is 21cm. It's not bad but I want to run long trumpets for torque but need the space. The 595's are nice but have an angled face, lumps to cut off, I want to get away from making a thick angled adapter plate. It's just more work on top of what I still have to do. A simple flat thin steel adapter plate would be ideal, that would give me a trumpet length of 5 or 6cm. I'd like longer but it's not possible. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

coozer

posted on 5/10/14 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Claire will be along soon to help.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

KFC

posted on 5/10/14 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've not heard from Claire for 2 weeks with repeat emails. Not sure if she is happy with me. I got the 595 throttle bodies from her so we'll see.
DIY Si

posted on 5/10/14 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
What do you hope to gain by using a short(er) throttle body but a longer trumpet? Since the overall inlet length will be the same, I doubt you would see much, if any, difference over a long body with a short trumpet.

The Triumph bodies I have from a 955 are a great match for the KLDE as the lean can be used to make an almost straight inlet with a nice port shape. There aren't very many ITBs that have the oval port you need to best match the KLDE inlet either. Is the 595 version that much different?

Having said that, the 955 bodies can be shortened if you need to. But any adaptor plate, even in steel, is going to be 5-6mm thick at least for the threads unless you can find something that very closely matches the existing bolt spacing. My ally plate is 10mm and makes fine tuning the port shape easy enough. My plate is flat though, so does leave me needing a funny shaped air box. But I figure it's much easier to sort that than getting angled adaptor plates done.

This is what my plates look like, and they took a full day or so each to make and port match to both the head and the ITBs. I did all the work myself, but did get the first plate wrong so had to re-do it.

And it was all so I could have this view down the inlets. It is a fair bit of work to do it all though, as I have lightly opened up the inlets as well as blending in the ITBs so the heads need to come off, but I'm happy with the finished result. No idea yet how much it helps power though! I do plan on shortening the bodies and having my trumpets slide inside the bodies to give me the best shape I can manage.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

KFC

posted on 5/10/14 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I would like the matching to be very good to the heads, the injector side is quite deep and I want it to be smooth. Also I've been told by a very experienced engineer (cosworth prototype electrical engineer) that the longer the trumpet, you move the peak torque lower down the rev range.
DIY Si

posted on 6/10/14 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
The engineer is correct, but why do you want the peak torque lower down the rev range? Surely higher is the way to go, especially given the DE's love of revs? The same torque at higher revs means more BHP too......

Granted, I do still have a large injector recess, but I am planning on filling it with a chemical metal to smooth the shape off. It's the one thing I'm not happy with as things are at the moment with my inlet set up.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

KFC

posted on 6/10/14 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
This will be my every day car so I won't be red lining it everywhere, I love V8 torque but can only have a V6, best to have torque low down and horse power at the top end for me.
I did wonder how you got around the injector port, never mind, at least we're in agreement about the alignment. I'm not sure I'd trust a compound right in front of the valves, numerous of heat cycles and pressure, I'd try to match them the best you can. It will be a while but when I'm done I'll post photos.

Kevin

DIY Si

posted on 7/10/14 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried to match the ports as best I can, but the injector recess is too big to blend away entirely. These photos show the before and after for my shaping/porting efforts so far so you can get a feel for how much I was able to remove. A more vertical ITB might allow you to move the oval port shape about a bit for a better fit.

As there's still a sizeable space, I can't think of another way I can fill that space up, other than a chemical metal. I suppose they could be welded up and shaped back, but I'm not keen on that option.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.