Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electrical Connector (From Mr2)
Skirrow

posted on 7/10/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Electrical Connector (From Mr2)

Not quite a Locost but... I've just been helping a mate out with an electrical fault on his Mk1 MR2. We have keyed it down to a connector which is shown below. Does anyone know where we can get a connector like this? Or failing that, even what they are actually called? Looks like a generic part you see on loads of cars so assuming it's not a Toyota only thing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 7/10/14 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
What does it plug into?

If its just another plug then for the sake of a sigle wire I would cut and crimp both sides of the plug (but only the single wire) bypassing that plug.

If it goes into a unit then you will almost defineatly have to get it from a donor MR2. The lug and latch locations are all different on OEM cars and plugs. It may look simple and generic, it wont be!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Skirrow

posted on 7/10/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers, it goes into some kind of board/hub along with a load of other similar connectors and a ribbon connector. So guessing despite it's generic look we won't be getting one from Halfords or CBS or anyone.. Bugger
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 7/10/14 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Go on the Yazaki Webby, find the connector and order some samples, make sure you order all the parts including crimps. Ask for 10 of each part and they send them out pronto in a jiffy bag.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Skirrow

posted on 7/10/14 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
That sounds like a decent plan! I'll send that info over to my mate. Cheers!
Fcck2000

posted on 7/10/14 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skirrow
Not quite a Locost but... I've just been helping a mate out with an electrical fault on his Mk1 MR2. We have keyed it down to a connector which is shown below. Does anyone know where we can get a connector like this? Or failing that, even what they are actually called? Looks like a generic part you see on loads of cars so assuming it's not a Toyota only thing

Looks like one of these type to me.
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/615/mini-connectors-2-8mm

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

britishtrident

posted on 7/10/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
By-pass the affected pin with 150mm of cable and a couple of Scotchlok tap conectors.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Skirrow

posted on 7/10/14 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info fellas. Don't think I can bypass it as it goes into a board of some sort. Not sure if there are circuits inside the board or if each cable in connects up to several others but don't think it's as simple as connecting one with to another sadly
coyoteboy

posted on 7/10/14 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
By-pass the affected pin with 150mm of cable and a couple of Scotchlok tap conectors.

Don't take this the wrong way, normally I agree with most things you say, but this I can say is categorically the worst advice I've read in a long time. Those connectors are horrendously poor and good, at best, for temporary get-you-home solutions, and even then they cut into the insulation mid-wire and cut into the conductors vastly increasing likelihood of future breaks and corrosion of the wire. They create high resistance joints and if the wire is carrying any current they present a potential hot-spot. You want a properly crimped connector - if it's one wire just add in a short jumper length connected with bullet connectors, ensuring the insulated female is on the high potential side so it won't short to ground if it gets accidentally split:

But you should really do it properly and use something nice and suitably waterproof...
eBay Item

However, in the case of this it looks like a board-connector. Check out the mating half - if it's burned up then it will need replacing anyway (or jumpering out). If not, you have two worries. The first is that terminal will continue to arc and overheat if it's not gripping properly, however it looks more like that's overheating - the white and black, IIRC, is a ground on Toyotas of that era - what's being grounded by it?

[Edited on 7/10/14 by coyoteboy]

Skirrow

posted on 7/10/14 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers coyoteboy, I have proper crimping gear and bullet connectors so if we need to make any connections that's not a problem. They have the transparent plastic sleeves which I believe are waterproof but it's all inside the car anyway thankfully so shouldn't get wet.

The board side is a little brown but doesn't look significantly burnt. I'll ask him to have a look at the wiring diagram and work out what it is grounding and report back shortly. CHeers!

Skirrow

posted on 7/10/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
What was the second of the 2 worries by the way?
Skirrow

posted on 9/10/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've managed to locate it on the wiring diagrams and it looks like it's the main earth for various systems. It's pin 6 as shown on the following pic - http://screencast.com/t/aOWcYsPT

Is there any logical way of testing each component to work out which is causing it to overheat? I'm not great with electrics but if I attach a multimeter between the pin on the board and the pin on the connector will the resistance shoot up when the dodgy circuit is in use? ie. can I watch the meter and switch lights on and so on until I find the dodgy thing?

Any help much appreciated. He has a 1 week deadline now before he can no longer use his missus' car!

Skirrow

posted on 9/10/14 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
And, possibly a stupid question, but why didn't the relevant fuse blow instead of this junction overheating?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.