Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: [Video] Mallory Park - 10/10/2014
gingerprince

posted on 11/10/14 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
[Video] Mallory Park - 10/10/2014

So yesterday I did Mallory Park. First time I've been there. To be honest looking at the circuit layout I was expecting to be disappointed with so few corners, and also anticipating needing a new engine through the dreaded oil surge for which Gerards is notorious. I was wrong on both counts. Despite there being only 5 corners, there's a challenge in every one of them.

Gerards is the obvious difficult one - takes ages to grow balls big enough to enter with enough speed and stay out wide to carry more speed. A lot of the time I was braking too early, which meant to turn in whilst still on the brakes I was turning in too early. Note : I still need to grow bigger balls, there's definately a few more mph in the car round there.

Then there's the Esses (2 corners) - needs a later apex then you think and I kept getting it wrong. Still feels good to "dance" the car around the right then left though, using the brakes to help turn in then off the brakes to let the rear loosen. Can't really tell on the video but it's such a good feeling to almost feel "at one" with the car as everything you do steering with the pedals translates into what you actually meant to happen!

Then there's the hairpin, which was pretty scary when there were tin-tops slowing way earlier and more than you expect. Over cooked a few times here, and getting close to the apex whilst not slowing too much is a bit of an art.

Finally there's the Devils Elbow, which is an off camber flat out left-hander. Plenty of grip in the dry, but was damp early doors and had a couple of scares!

Looking at my oil pressure gauge, whilst it was reducing through Gerards it never really dropped below 40psi, so I came back with a working engine Just got a sump baffle and a slight over-fill on the day.

Best lap time caught on video was about 55.5. Battery cut out before my final few laps which "felt" the best (though we all know that doesn't always translate to fastest!)

Anyhow, video below. In summary, although it doesn't look like the most exciting circuit from the map, there's a lot of fun to be had. Great for spectating, too.

Andy D

posted on 11/10/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Enjoyed that. That blue car (Caterham?) at the end was a bit reluctant to move over..
Andy D

posted on 11/10/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
..oh, and you'll be OK for Cadwell next Friday?
gingerprince

posted on 11/10/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
Enjoyed that. That blue car (Caterham?) at the end was a bit reluctant to move over..

Yeah moved over but didn't lift off, and I wasn't about to barrel 2 abreast into the Esses To be fair he was generally fine through the day in moving over. Though early doors I was stuck behind for about 4 laps - I had to keep trying different lines through Devils Elbow until I found a line that gave me more speed to actually hang back then slingshot him and pass on merit on the straight

gingerprince

posted on 11/10/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
..oh, and you'll be OK for Cadwell next Friday?

Would love to, but I've got 3 days out of the office next week and a full diary on Friday now

Having said that, I was expecting to "call it a year" but as it's going so well I'm tempted to try and get at least another one in this year, even though it means playing weather bingo. Tempted by Snetterton on Nov 2nd which I've never done before. Long way but got a mate who live nearby I may be able to crash over. I've done Croft and Mallory for the 1st time this year so Snetterton would round off a nice trio of firsts!

Blueosis1

posted on 18/10/14 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ,what camera were you using, footage is great with the dash info on the screen

Mark

Trollyjack

posted on 18/10/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I used Racechrone Pro
Quite easy to use.
here is my and the cars 1st time on track so dont expect and fast racing.
Also the track was wet and wanted to bring the car home in 1 piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNd1Jv2nA1Q

Also how do you embed the youtube clip in to this window I could only add a link

[Edited on 18/10/14 by Trollyjack]

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 18/10/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueosis1
Hi ,what camera were you using, footage is great with the dash info on the screen

Mark

The camera I'm using now is a TCL SVC 200. Great camera for the money ( less than 100 quid) and supports 60 fps at 720p and 30 at 1080 but 60 fps is much better for action shots. Camera also has a screen and a mic input so you can have usable sound.

The data was recorded on my ETB Digidash. I wrote my own software to create those dials but programs like Dashware can do similar things provided you have something to record the data.

Blueosis1

posted on 18/10/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys ,using a go pro myself but the info on the screen just adds something .i,m In the middle of building a robin hood and the digidash in on my wish list .
Was at mallory in the red alfa ,brilliant day for the time of year and a viewing track

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.