Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: guy Martin spitfire
kj

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
guy Martin spitfire

On ch4 now

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

greed1

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Got it on record

Drive it stright sideways

coozer

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, recording it.

Looking forward to it seeing as the last restoration of a Spit cost well over £40m.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

adithorp

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Jammy git!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

kj

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Total respect to the women and men, if I had the money

owelly

posted on 13/10/14 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Loved the show.
I'm surprised there are no folks whittering about them shooting a German car. There would've been plenty said if TG did it!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 13/10/14 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
It's not like "Don't mention the war" applies in this case though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

blakep82

posted on 13/10/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Brilliant programme as always
But, erm, not really a restoration was it? Brand new air frame costing 250k, engine support for 120k? New prop which was maybe 120k? New wings, new fuselage, was basically it was just a brand new spitfire wasn't it? There was no mention of any of it being reused as far as I remember

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 13/10/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Of course it was the same Spitfire that they pulled out of the sand on that French beach. Just like Triggers broom was the same one he'd had for years.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianm67

posted on 13/10/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
But, erm, not really a restoration was it? Brand new air frame costing 250k, engine support for 120k? New prop which was maybe 120k? New wings, new fuselage, was basically it was just a brand new spitfire wasn't it? There was no mention of any of it being reused as far as I remember

Did they not have the Merlin rebuilt? I'm sure that is what was inferred during the programme......

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

blakep82

posted on 13/10/14 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
quote:

Did they not have the Merlin rebuilt? I'm sure that is what was inferred during the programme......

I thought he said they got a rebuilt merlin for it, rather that getting the merlin rebuilt?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_pete

posted on 13/10/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Of course it was the same Spitfire that they pulled out of the sand on that French beach. Just like Triggers broom was the same one he'd had for years.....

Almost word for word what my wife said at the end of the programme when it was presented to the Daughters as the plane their Father flew....

I was a little disappointed with the lack of technical content, I'm sure they could have included more for us petrol heads, even if it meant extending the programme. No disrespect to the historical content intended, I would just like to have seen more 'doing'

blakep82

posted on 13/10/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

Almost word for word what my wife said at the end of the programme when it was presented to the Daughters as the plane their Father flew....

I was a little disappointed with the lack of technical content, I'm sure they could have included more for us petrol heads, even if it meant extending the programme. No disrespect to the historical content intended, I would just like to have seen more 'doing'

Definitely. 2 years condensed into 1.5 hours, of which half was a history lesson (and an enjoyable one at that) and about another 10 minutes of recaps after adverts, and adverts themselves.
Would like to have seen more about every aspect of all the flight systems, landing gear, ailerons, flaps, rudder, wiring, etc
There was a big jump from getting the new airframe, then building the wings, installing the engine, and then a flying plane? What?!

whitestu

posted on 13/10/14 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Loved the show.
I'm surprised there are no folks whittering about them shooting a German car. There would've been plenty said if TG did it!!

That never even crossed my mind!

TG would have painted a Swastika on the Beemer though!

kj

posted on 13/10/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just like when you restore a Dutton:O

Lurch88

posted on 13/10/14 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
There was possibly a good program in there some where
Do we really have to have 10 Minutes at the beginning telling us what was in the show ?
then two minutes before every advert break telling us what was on after the advert break ?
Its American "Junk" documentary style dumbing down
There was more then enough content from the engineering side and the historic side to make a good 90 min documentary
Not 40 mins Documentary 30 mins Adverts and 20 mins of recaps !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.