Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calling all Fibreglassing experts
corrado vr6

posted on 15/10/14 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Calling all Fibreglassing experts

Hi there,

I'm looking to make a mould of this tailgate with these 3mm thick letters attached

I have been using on other parts so far 450g (1.5 oz) Chopped Strand Matting, I'm thinking maybe this is a bit thick for my first layer to get the correct detail around the letters or do people think I will be ok??

If not suitable should I use a thinner matting for the first layer of the mould? Obviously I'll be gel coating first.

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

Alan B

posted on 16/10/14 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'd even go for tissue first...get it right into the corners...also try and get some draft on the edges of the letters too.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Carbonman

posted on 16/10/14 at 03:34 AM Reply With Quote
Are the letters just stuck on? If they are you need to make sure there are no gaps underneath. The slightest gap and gelcoat will seep underneath giving you a mechanical lock.
You will also need to seal that bodyfiller and the letters if they are what looks like MDF. The gelcoat will draw the styrene out of the bog and stick to it even if your using wax as a release agent.
You could get a way with a really heavy coat of PVA release agent sprayed on but its still risky. The whole thing really needs spraying with 2K primer followed by 2k top coat. That should also seal around the letters and give a small fillet making release easier. If you use cellulose paint you will have the styrene issues again.
The 2k needs plenty of time to fully cure before pulling a mould as the exotherm will generate heat in excess of 60 degrees C, this can soften the paint and cause release issues.
Standard layup would be tooling gelcoat (probably 2 coats on a commercial mould) 1x 100grm CSM this will conform better to the detailed areas and prevent print through onto the gelcoat surface followed by 3/4 layers of 450 grm CSM.
If you have sharp corners/returns like around the letters you can tear up some CSM, mix with some resin to form a paste and brush that in before the first layer of mat.
You would also add flanges on a commercial mould but these may not be necessary if its a one off your doing.

Apologies in advance if I'm telling you things you already know.

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Irony

posted on 16/10/14 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
What ^ he said. Nothing is more irritating than mechanical lock. I ruined many parts by not doing the prep properly.
corrado vr6

posted on 16/10/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Great thanks for all your replies

So would this be what I need for my first layer?

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-739-ecc-100-chopped-strand-matting-100g.aspx

Would I need to use this as my first layer again when laying up against my mould I would have made previously?

Thanks again

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

Carbonman

posted on 16/10/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. If you use a lighter weight cloth against the gelcoat there is much less chance of print through. The larger fibres in the heavier cloths can show through the gelcoat spoiling the surface finish. Not a problem if the parts being painted but not good if the gelcoat is the final finish.

Warren

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.