Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Trouble selling MK In winter, am I over priced?
-matt

posted on 16/10/14 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble selling MK In winter, am I over priced?

I decided a little while ago it was time to part with my MK Indy R.

I've got it for sale on, eBay, pistonheads and autotrader.

It's getting plenty of views, and watchers on eBay, but yet to get a call!

Just the usual scams!

I understand I'm not going to get top money over winter, but also don't want to give it away after the hours/cash spent on it over the years.

Do you think I've over priced?

2012 MK INDY R 2008 R1 Engine, 62 Plate

bi22le

posted on 16/10/14 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looks about right to me. Its a really nice car.

It only takes that one right buyer to come along so you may just have to wait. As you said, its not the best time of year to sell.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

CosKev3

posted on 16/10/14 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's over priced, but there are a few things I can see that would probably be putting potential buyers off if you want peoples honest opinion.

The engine wiring under bonnet looks messy and not well done all being open and unwrapped, the rear arches are on the wrong sides of car, hence they don't sit nicely on car, rear lights on arches don't look right being so high up on the arch, and its messy and dirty in the picture of the diff area.

All easy things to sort, which perhaps you should have done before advertising/taking pics?

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/10/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I would add the bonnet looks very matt compared to the rest of the car. Sounds fussy, but it would put me off straight away at that price level...
Needs a few jobs done as above to get it tidy and neat.

-matt

posted on 16/10/14 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, I agree there are some bits required to tidy her up. Yes the wiring under bonnet is very poor considering my occupation

But I just don't have the time! Hence selling.

So really looking for a buyer who has a bit of spare time, I don't see it would take a lot of cash to bring it up, just time

indykid

posted on 16/10/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
It's only 2 years old, but it looks like it's had a hard life.

As it stands, the engine and rear running gear especially are pretty grubby and it doesn't look like it was a cherished build.

Just a few of the bits that should be pretty quick to tidy up:
-old number plate sticky strip on the nosecone
-bits dangling from under the nosecone
-wonky oil cooler
-tow strap on the front wishbone?!?
-rack gaiters over the track rod ends
-flat paint on the bonnet
-scratched out labels on the dash and dash finish in general
-grubby footwell carpet
-odd trim ring on the steering wheel
-loose wires behind steering wheel
-various bits of redundant SVA trim

The more expensive bit that's probably worth tackling is the rear arches being the wrong way round. Sorting that would let you drop the rear lights too to make it a fair bit more aesthetically pleasing.

The money might be about right for the time of year with a tidy build, but it's obviously been used in the wet a lot and all the above detail bits sit it on par with a much older car so you're undermining the value of the 62 reg.

Good luck moving it on. Hope the above helped

INDY BIRD

posted on 16/10/14 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Got to be honest when I sold my cars at that price or near they where mint condition you cold eat your dinner off the chassis etc,

I would as a potential buyer question how it got through sva or iva with wiring like that etc, and how it got a 62 plate with what looks like used parts not new as you need for a new registration,

Overall it could be a nice car but as said above some bits need going to make it stand out in the market place, as there are always plenty of mk's available

Best of luck with the sale

TimC

posted on 16/10/14 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
If you haven't got the time to complete the fixes, I wonder if it might be with asking someone like Julian @ Aerodynamix in Whitecroft to spend A couple of days on it for you to sort it out?

Tim
(in Blakeney)

-matt

posted on 16/10/14 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Just had a look on MK's pricing and seen a new bonnet and rear arches are only £350. So that May be worth doing.

So now thinking it may be worth spending a few quid and a bit of time getting bits like this sorted,

Work should go quiet near Xmas so should have a bit of time to get things tidied up.

Also it has MK's electric reverse motor, but the motor stopped working, I take it this would be worth replacing?
Does anyone know what the starter motor is off?

Wiring I could tidy up, and get it wrapped up.

Not too sure what I can really do with the rear diff etc?

But could sort and paint the bits of rust on top of roll cage, wishbones etc.

If I can get all these bits sorted, do we think I should be able to sell for this price in January?

Cheers Tim, although I feel it may get a bit expensive paying someone to do things. (Nice to see a local, I grew up at the top of blakeney hill!)

CosKev3

posted on 16/10/14 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
The rear diff area really just needs a degrease and power wash, would improve the look a lot.

If you want to go further things like the wires running from the fuel gauge sender would look much better run around the chassis to the nearest point to the sender.

Pretty sure the reverse motor is a VW starter motor.

Matt21

posted on 17/10/14 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is pretty identical looking but green, 99 cbr900 engine, no reverse (though I wouldnt pay extra for it anyway)
I paid £7250 for it and it was immaculate...

Prices seem to have risen well, and if your was immaculate your asking price would be reasonable. But like people have said, theres a bit of tidying up to do. Nothing hugely major but they all make a difference.

Have you tried a machine polisher on the bonnet? that might bring it to a shine rather than fork out for a new one. Try G3 polish followed by some autoglym.

Why is the side repeater on the rear arch btw? I'm pretty sure that has to be mounted up front in order to pass an iva/sva and mot?

The rust on the roll bar puts me off also, might be worth lookingh into doing something about that.

Along with what others have said, they are all things that I wuld haggle with you on if I came to view it because if you didnt sort them out, that means I would have too.

If you want to sell it as it is, I would say £7000-7500

CosKev3

posted on 17/10/14 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
Why is the side repeater on the rear arch btw? I'm pretty sure that has to be mounted up front in order to pass an iva/sva and mot?

That is ok on the rear arch, only two places now you can fit them to pass iva, where these are or on front arches.

-matt

posted on 17/10/14 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure the bonnet is past polishing! Other than re-spraying, but I'd imagine looking at £200ish for that anyway, so may as well replace with new?

The side repeater I'm sure is fine, and passed IVA there.

TBH I would accept £7500 to save any hassle of sorting things out, so think I will drop the asking to £8K any see if I get any offers in the last week or so of the listing..

gaz_gaz

posted on 17/10/14 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
My advice would be to clean up over winter and list around Feb/March for full asking price if you don't need the money right now!
Buyers are looking for bargains this time of year knowing the cars are destined to spend much of the next 6 months gathering dust!

adithorp

posted on 17/10/14 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with what others have said and add (just to be pedantic) you're not selling in winter, there's a few weeks before that arrives.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

StevieB

posted on 17/10/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think dropping the price is sensible rather than trying to get it in top condition, but I'd also spend the weekend getting friendly with the autoglym range and get some new pics up - with some elbow grease and decent pics, you polish a bit of value into it fairly cheaply and easily - check out the Detailing World for products and techniques (and dome seriously impressive OCD car cleaning!).

jlayton

posted on 30/11/14 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
U2u'd you

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.