Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for a second hand DSLR kit, any recommendations?
McLannahan

posted on 9/11/14 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for a second hand DSLR kit, any recommendations?

Afternoon all.

On a recent family holiday I was quite frustrated with my point and shoot digital camera. Although it's somehting like 10mpx I feel quality is still quite poor and there's no optical zoom, only digital and I found that awful. I know that it's not the pixel that's the be all and end all when there's factors like the sensor size to take into account.

I'd like to get a DSLR and ideally a large zoom lens too, so I don't need to be close to sights. I appreciate I'll need a tripod/monopod.

I have a very limited budget though for this and wondered if anyone had any older kit for sale, or could recommend where I start? I don't think this will grow into a serious hobby (famous last words) so I'd be happier spending less to get started, knowing that I could always sell and upgrade rather than buying a more current and expensive model in the first place and would upgrade more easily.

I'd like to spend about £100 and I know this isn't a great budget, but I hope enough to allow me to dip my toe?

Thanks all

02GF74

posted on 9/11/14 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Have you conisidered 4/3 format?

Like slr but mirrorless so more compact, and can take inerchangeable lenses.

E.g. panasonic gf1, 12 mp, body on ebay for 80 quid, then choose a lens.

Not the layest model but can take just as good quality photos.

McLannahan

posted on 9/11/14 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I hadn't...I didn't know it existed! I had heard of mirrorless though but assumed this was a very modern thing and therefore out of my price range!

That model looks great, possibly the compromise I need? A really stupid question though....a 42mm lens....how much zoom would that give me? I guess the best answer would be two photos one with max zoom and one without so I can judge. I do some Googling!

Many thanks 02!

02GF74

posted on 9/11/14 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
My suggestion is one of many options, i daresay there are older dslr in your price range.

I settled on the gf1 as the shutter buttons sits nicely for my finger, other e.g samsung/olympus/ pentax have the shutter button further forward that felt awkward. That may sound like a strange reason but why feel like i am having to contort my finger, spec wise it was as good as the other cameras and is capable of far better photos than the 'snaps' i take.

Re. Lens, typically the mm is half the 35 mm equivalent so 24 mm gives same angle as 50 mm on 35 mm slr.

Note the 4/3 generally do not have a viewer but lcd screen at the rear.

[Edited on 9/11/14 by 02GF74]

tompat3463

posted on 9/11/14 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is was going to sell my Nikon d3200 for around £250 if that's any good. I dare say if you were interested I'd throw in my remote and tripod and bag for it too

It's something like 28megapixel so cropping levels are unbelievable

Message me if your interested. It's in mint condition

tul214

posted on 9/11/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Nikon D40. Its has been a great starter DSLR. Even though this model is a few years old the pictures I have taken are great. It came with a 'kit lens' 18-55 but I bought a decent Nikon 55-200mm lens to help with the distance shots.

I have been looking to 'upgrade' to the newer D3200 which is essentially the same camera but more pixels etc.

Have a look here

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

tegwin

posted on 9/11/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how much they are these days but the old Canon 450D DSLR shouldn't cost too much... Took far far better photos than the 600D I replaced it with...

Grab the body for £150 odd quid and then grab some lenses.. I have a really nice 10-20mm lens that would fit that body for sale

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ceebmoj

posted on 14/11/14 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Have you conisidered 4/3 format?

Like slr but mirrorless so more compact, and can take inerchangeable lenses.

E.g. panasonic gf1, 12 mp, body on ebay for 80 quid, then choose a lens.

Not the layest model but can take just as good quality photos.

The gf1 looks like a nice camera but the lenses seam surprisingly expensive unless im looking in the wrong place

dubzter

posted on 15/11/14 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a few DSLRs now, started out with a second hand Canon 450d with 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm lens. Was a great bit of kit, I thought that would be all I ever needed but after a few upgrades I'm now using a Canon 6D and 24-70L and 70-200L lens plus a few others.

So be warned it can turn into a very expensive hobby.

I got my original kit from here, good luck

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/

I think if I was starting again i would go with something like this.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-500d-3

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-iii-1

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-1

This would set you back a smidge over £300

[Edited on 15/11/14 by dubzter]

McLannahan

posted on 15/11/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. I managed to buy somehting on EBay earlier in the week but it's not turned up yet! I've gone with 4/3 as suggested as it seemed to fit into my budget better!

Thanks again all, I'll update this if and when it arrives....

dubzter

posted on 15/11/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. I managed to buy somehting on EBay earlier in the week but it's not turned up yet! I've gone with 4/3 as suggested as it seemed to fit into my budget better!

Thanks again all, I'll update this if and when it arrives....

What make etc did you go for?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.