Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does anyone own a standard MR2 Mk1?
russbost

posted on 18/11/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone own a standard MR2 Mk1?

Hi Guys, I'm trying to help a customer who's fitted a Toyota MR2 lump to one of our Furores, but he's damaged some of the wiring to the distributor & has also managed to take off all the vacuum supplies from the plenum!

I only have the American manual which has airflow sensor not MAP sensor as the UK cars, so not much help, also it doesn't give the colour of the wires where they go into the dizzy as they change at the plug (plug is missing & wiring is all bare!)

The wires coming to the dizzy from the coil are red/white/black, the ones going into the trigger units (2 different types) in the dizzy are red/white/blue, strangely I'm almost certain red does NOT connect to red. I've had it connected 2 different ways & it will run with both, but I'm sure one must be incorrect because as I say they are 2 different types of trigger unit, one on a gear & one traditional point passing close to sensor, not quite sure what it uses the different outputs for other than triggering the coil - may be the ignition advance via the ECU?

If any one of you owning a Mk1 MR2 could possibly take a look at what colour wire is connected to which I'd be eternally grateful, I believe the 3 pin connector unit which is missing is about 20-25mm dia, yellow in colour & mounted right near the dizzy, it will have red whit black going in & red white blue coming out.

Whilst looking under the bonnet/boot, if you could tell me where the MAP vacuum connects to (MAP is mounted on rear panel near boot latch & has 3 wires) & also the vacuum to the fuel pressure return (mounted under N/S of plenum) that would also be very helpful. This engine has 2 vacuum take offs on the O/S of the plenum chamber, these have metal pipes going to what I believe is a temperature valve on the front of the plenum? & has 2 further take offs at the top of the throttle entry to the plenum

Thanx in advance guys!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
t11

posted on 18/11/14 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
mk1 mr2

Hi I think RAW might be able to help as they used mr2 bit's a while ago , have a word with Martin Jones.......

[Edited on 18/11/14 by t11]

[Edited on 18/11/14 by t11]

Nickp

posted on 18/11/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I can put you in touch with a very knowledgeable MR2 mate of mine if you want? Send me a u2u and I'll give you his details.
russbost

posted on 18/11/14 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent Nick

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Nickp

posted on 18/11/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Details sent
tul214

posted on 19/11/14 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
Is this any good?

I think there is a drawing on p49.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

russbost

posted on 19/11/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tul214
Is this any good?

There's some good info & drawings there, I will keep the link, thanks, but unless anyone can interpret the area of the drawing at the bottom of page 49, I can't make sense of it! I believe NE & G1 are the 2 sensors/trigger units inside the dizzy, but it also has reference to some sort of sealed unit & is giving wiring colours as Black, white red & green , so I guess what I'm calling blue could be green, but it appears to show the wires in some sort of tandem arrangement as tho' black was connected to both white & red - which they aren't in reality,, it's only a 3 pin connector that's missing so can only connect 3 wires to another 3 - I just need to know which way around? never seen a wiring diagram quite like it!!

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 19/11/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
quote:
Originally posted by tul214
Is this any good?

There's some good info & drawings there, I will keep the link, thanks, but unless anyone can interpret the area of the drawing at the bottom of page 49, I can't make sense of it! I believe NE & G1 are the 2 sensors/trigger units inside the dizzy, but it also has reference to some sort of sealed unit & is giving wiring colours as Black, white red & green , so I guess what I'm calling blue could be green, but it appears to show the wires in some sort of tandem arrangement as tho' black was connected to both white & red - which they aren't in reality,, it's only a 3 pin connector that's missing so can only connect 3 wires to another 3 - I just need to know which way around? never seen a wiring diagram quite like it!!

The diagram on P49 appears to show to possible setups for two variant of car; 5S-FE and 3S-GTE.

The diagram on P66 looks similar to what you have described.

HTH

Rich

russbost

posted on 19/11/14 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Jamesbond, thanks for that, I'd not realised there were further diagrams relating to different levels - the diagram still doesn't seem to help tho' as, so far as I can see, it has just the 3 colours, red, black, white - no mention of the colour change, however from info gained from Nickp's acquaintance I think I now have it sussed - apparently the 2 different triggers are, one which gives 4 individual pulses for the spark plugs & another which gives a stream of pulses which I gather is an engine speed/tacho function for the ECU.

Should anyone have the misfortune to find themselves in the same boat, the incoming red goes to white, the white goes to red & the black goes to blue! How bizarre, but that's how it is! On the vacuums, both MAP sensor & fuel reg are sourced from the engine side of the throttle butterfly.

Thanks for your help guys

Nickp

posted on 19/11/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you got sorted, PW knows his sh1t!! Helped me loads when I did my V6 MR2
Like you say, red-white, white-red, etc, WTF!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.