Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best options for 6 months of internet
morcus

posted on 20/11/14 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Best options for 6 months of internet

I'm going to be living away for 6 months and really need some sort of internet connection at my house to do my job but unfortunately its not covered by my expenses. I've had a brief look into it but most contracts are 12 or 18 months and I won't be able to transfer it to another property as I'll be coming back to where I am now where we have internet (That I will also be contributing to while I'm away). I found a few rolling monthly ones but they seemed to offer limited net at quite high prices.

I've got a mobile internet dongle somewhere but I'm hoping I don't have to resort to that as it was painfully slow and cost a fortune, I've also got phone internet that I can probably connect to my computer but that's also very slow.

I'm sure someone on here will have been through the same thing and have some good ideas of the best way to do this.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

HowardB

posted on 20/11/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
depends where away is,.... and what you need the internet for,..

so USA, or mainland europe and you may find free wifi near by,. or if you are looking for high speed and data intensive delivery overseas then buy a data contract in the country of destination.

depends really,....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

geoff shep

posted on 20/11/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Who is your current home broadband supplier?

Benzine

posted on 20/11/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I use http://www.greenisp.net I think their min contract is 3 months. I wanted a short contract as I didn't want to be at a rented house for 12 months
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 21/11/14 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

Away is still in the UK (Barrow In Furness), my home provider is Virgin but none of it is in my name.

Free Wi-Fi isn't really an option as I'd have to buy another computer as I've only got a desk top (Also security implications).

The Green ISP thing looks like it could be a goer though.

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/11/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
As an aside, it may be worth considering another approach.
many rented places, especially shared houses and smaller flats etc, include broadband in the rent (certainly down here in Brighton, lots of 6 month lets, transient workers etc). Worth a thought.....

Seems odd that an employer sends you somewhere and won't cover the broadband, a dongle would be the obvious answer in many ways.

morcus

posted on 21/11/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I did try to find somewhere with internet included but the only place was right in the town centre and had no parking, it would have been great if I didn't have (And need) the car as it also had sky movies thrown in.

They do a lot of stuff like this, for example I was told I had to go then had write a business case to say why I should go. I get the line rental covered so it is just the internet side I have to pay, they're trying to get the guidelines changed to include internet as it is actually essential to do the job (As I'm an apprentice I'm supposed to do home work) but it won't help me as it could take another year or longer.

Stupid thing is they'd be quite happy to pay me to go home to here on a train every weekend at £110 a go (Which I don't want as it's 6 hours each way).

tegwin

posted on 21/11/14 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Plus.net do a contract free BB service if you buy the hardware and pay for the installation.... Been pretty happy with the service I get from them!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

jossey

posted on 21/11/14 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
4g dongle

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 21/11/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
4g dongle

You'll be lucky to get 4G in Barrow.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

morcus

posted on 22/11/14 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'll have a look at Plus net too, I've got a few companies to look into now.

I was told I'd be lucky to get decent TV reception in Barrow so I was assuming the same for using a dongle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.