Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: halfords 120 piece set 60quid
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 21/12/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
halfords 120 piece set 60quid

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-120-piece-socket-set?cm_mmc=E-Mail-_-WK39DOTDSUN-_-Main-_ -120SKTSET_AUT&mi_u=%7B(halurn)%7D

link

seems a good price to me (if i didn't have all the bits separately now I would have got one!)

[Edited on 21/12/14 by Chris_Xtreme]

Nickp

posted on 21/12/14 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Just reserved one for collection
Don't really need one but they looked shiny

FuryRebuild

posted on 21/12/14 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've got 15 years out of their pro-sets, and it shows no signs of abating.

I once had an issue where one of the click-securing studs on an extender bar stopped working. The shop (after a little explaining about the lifetime warranty on the gear) replaced it without a fight. The only length extender they had was in a pack of 3, so I persuaded them to sell me the whole pack at 50%.

The only reason why I needed to persuade them was because I didn't want to wait for them to order one.

All in, I'm very satisfied with it.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

ceebmoj

posted on 21/12/14 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Great way to get a couple of extra ratchets if you need them.

off topic but, does anybody have a good way of keeping sockets organised.

Matt21

posted on 21/12/14 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
Great way to get a couple of extra ratchets if you need them.

off topic but, does anybody have a good way of keeping sockets organised.

yup, keep them in the box you buy them in

other than that, those stainless rails are good that you push the sockets onto and mount to a wall etc

FuryRebuild

posted on 21/12/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords also sell socket strips (I use the 1/2" onces). My friend who does loads of technical precision work then rivets these to the top box in his tool chest, so they're always there. I however, am not as tall as him, and my sockets need to migrate around the workshop more. So, I have various strips that I keep each function of socket organised (such as torx, hex head, standard, etc.) on their own strip, and I have a drawer in my tool cabinet that I keep the strips in. Then the strips migrate around the workshop and the sockets don't escape into the wild very easily.

Everyone's needs are different though. This is a great question.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Jumbo

posted on 21/12/14 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
So here's the choice I had already bought a 200 piece set a couple of weeks back for £125 which is still in its wrapper and within 28 days to return, do I now go for the 120 set and save myself over £60?

I suppose the deal is how many items of the 200 piece will I actually use.....

Choices, choices??

bi22le

posted on 21/12/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo
So here's the choice I had already bought a 200 piece set a couple of weeks back for £125 which is still in its wrapper and within 28 days to return, do I now go for the 120 set and save myself over £60?

I suppose the deal is how many items of the 200 piece will I actually use.....

Choices, choices??

I am getting some tool vouchers from the big man at the end of the month and would be looking at one of these sets. I have already decided on the 200 piece as it does cover more sizes and doubles up on many which is good for working on our cars.

125 is a great price was it on offer for that our did you manage an extra sneaky discount?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Jumbo

posted on 21/12/14 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
No sneaky discounts mate, just bought when it was "Hooligan (black) Friday" 3 weeks ago, the daft thing is there is a second hand set on eBay as we speak (item 301441157705) and its going for near on new money e.g. current bid £110!!

Think I will keep the 200 piece

robinhoodman

posted on 21/12/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
For £60 its worth getting one to keep in boot of the car.
Which is what I have just done.

franky

posted on 21/12/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd take the bigger set back as you said just get loads of extra bit drivers. Go for the 120pc set for £60 then top it up with other tools from their range that you'll use.

I've just bought one of these, amazing value for money, really really good value.

RichieW

posted on 21/12/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I know the Halfords lifetime guarantee is very good but I much prefer six point sockets to twelve and there seems to be quite a few twelve points in that set. If a bolt is stuck and needs shifting, a six pointer is much better IMO as twelves can just round the corners of old, stuck, rusty bolts. Also, if the bolt is going to undo without protest it doesn't really matter about the quality of the socket.

I own a few different varieties of sockets, impact sockets are usually as good as any for general use. They are built a bit more robustly but I have yet to find clearance problems where an impact socket hasn't fitted and a standard socket has. The quality of socket only comes into play on a stuck bolt and I always think 6 siders have the edge in that situation. 12 points in the larger sizes are quite handy for hammering over locking wheel nuts when the key has been lost though so they do have their uses. Use a bit of heat on them first too!

blakep82

posted on 21/12/14 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've just reserved one at 60 quid while I decide whether I actually want to spend 60 quid on it.
Its a deal of the day, but if you reserve the price holds til friday
Could easily spend 60 quid on ratchets and extensions, so seems good to me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

luke2152

posted on 21/12/14 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I just brought their £20 tool bag. All my tools were in Germany and I needed something to change a turbo before I went. 12 minutes into the job the 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor on the ratchet broke and I really was not working it hard. I got it back for a refund and completed the job.

I have heard their pro kit is decent so can't comment on that but their normal stuff is utter crap

AntonUK

posted on 22/12/14 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
appears the price has gone up now... including the original price :S

Build Photos Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.