Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A++ tumble dryers
BenB

posted on 25/12/14 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
A++ tumble dryers

Merry Christmas to all! I'm still looking for a present for my wife. Kidding! Our vented tumble dryer which must be 20 years old if not 25 has finally given up the ghost. The timer switch isn't going round so it stays on drying mode indefinitely. I doubt I'll get spares and to be honest it's probably horribly inefficient...

I've checked the reviews on the A++ condensing dryers (the best vented one I can find is C efficiency) and they're very varied. Some people love them but some people find they don't dry the clothes properly. Is this because some people don't RTFM? I can't imagine why opinions would vary so much unless it's to do with people not using them properly.

Has anyone had one? They're twice the cost of an average dryer so if they work great, if not an expensive mistake!

I'm thinking of a Bosch WTW863S1GB as it has a self cleaning condenser... but some people really don't like it... Dilema!

Andybarbet

posted on 25/12/14 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I would also be interested to know.

We've had our dryer for 10 years & it was second hand when we got it, started making some strange noises recently & definately isn't fully heating up. Thinking it's time to replace it rather than the cost & effort to strip it down to fix.

Only thing is, what's the chances of getting that length of service out of a modern appliance ?

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

mark chandler

posted on 25/12/14 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
We looked at these, the complication of condensing the air and big cost differential led us to choosing a standard style dryer with a really big drum.

I have had dual purpose washing machines with condenser drying, every six months I had to pull them apart to clean the tubes the flick navigates through as it clings to the sides and builds up, I would not bother.

BenB

posted on 25/12/14 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
One thing I've discovered is that no-one can decide which side a washing machine and / or tumble dryer opens on! And some aren't reversible. What genius thought of that? Just pinged an e-mail of to Bosch to ask....
chris68

posted on 25/12/14 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
We bought a condensing drier last year to replace an old, small vented drier that had a manual timer and a high and low setting - thats all. I believe it was an 'F' rated drier - bloody good though. We thought that buying the new one being a 'C' rating would make a big difference however we find it nowhere near as good for drying the clothes using the miriad of programs and have to run it again to get the clothes as dry as we used to get. I think it uses more power because of this. I'm not convinced yet.

We wanted a condenser drier so there was no need to cut holes in the walls/doors etc.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 25/12/14 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
We've got a condensing dryer which makes the utility room all nice and warm / damp. They still haven't mastered the art of not making all the steam disappear into the room (which will ultimately cause mould).
If you can go vented, I'd suggest doing it.

We've got the cheapest of the cheap make (Beko DRCS76W) - it does the job, but I would have prefered a vented one. We just don't have the whole in the wall for a vent and there isn't enough room behind the dryer to run the vent pipe anyway (the tumble dryer backs onto an internal wall).

The amount of electric this thing uses is nothing compare to my two kids (aged 14 & 10) who constantly leave the lights on and their televisions on when they come downstairs.

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/12/14 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
sadly, I find this intersting!

I am assuming a condensing drier runs the hot, damp air over some cooled plates. So it is a heater and fridge type thing all in one? I can see how it may be more efficient, after all fridges are heat pumps so the heat produced to cool the plates is used to partially heat the air, but it does seem pretty complicated?? and that is rarely a good thing?

Our old bosch drier is vented, 20 years old and squeaks in use. But I could be tempted by a condensing drier when it dies IF it saves on running and has a reasonable life expectancy......

blakep82

posted on 25/12/14 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm concerned, deffo a condenser. Always
2nd, bosch, absolutely. Since I was 8 my mums had 2 washing machines and 2 tumble driers. All bosch, and i'm 32. These 2 arestill going. Well kinda. Thedrierworks fine, the washers decided not to turn the drum. Motor brushes probably. Lasted longer than any beko or indesit I've known of. Its had a pretty hard life too. Mum thought it had a 9kg load, been washing towels, quilts etc in it. Turns out now its only a 6kg machine, but never complained.
I don't think you'll regret a bosch condenser

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 25/12/14 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
We've got a condensing dryer which makes the utility room all nice and warm / damp. They still haven't mastered the art of not making all the steam disappear into the room (which will ultimately cause mould).
If you can go vented, I'd suggest doing it.

I suspect you have that the wrong way round. Vented lets all the warm damp air out, condensers condense the moisture in the air to collect into a container to empty in the sink
Vented machines are supposed to have a hose which goes outside

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Phil.J

posted on 25/12/14 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
We've just bought a Samsung A++ rated condensing dryer and it is great. Dries bone dry if that's what you want, and quite quickly too. Bit pricey at around £630 but should pay off in the long run.
JoelP

posted on 26/12/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'd vote vented myself. They are immensely simple machines that still last well even nowadays. You simply don't need to spend loads like you do on a washing machine.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

BenB

posted on 26/12/14 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I might well be going for a vented just because they're cheaper, a known entity, the existing one is vented and you can even get some which have the hinge on the left (which works for our installation). You would have thought some kind of heat exchanger between the inlet and outlet (a la combi boiler) would work well...
IanSouthLincs

posted on 26/12/14 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a Bosch WTB84200GB condensing drier about a month ago when our vented drier finally gave up. It's a B rated drier, but we bought it because it has a mighty 8kg load capacity. It's bloody brilliant!Has one of those dry sensors on it which you can fine tune to your needs, has cupboard dry and iron dry programmes on it, so perfect for formal shirts that don't want to be completely dry before ironing. Best of all there's no bleeding great hose to vent out the cat flap!! Can't fault it.
McLannahan

posted on 26/12/14 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I replaced our simple 20yr old dryer with a (second hand) condensing Beko. It was absolutely hideous. Didn't dry clothes at all, everything came out damp no matter how long it had been in. All wired up and connected up correctly, but just didn't work efficiently. Got sick of it and took it to the dump. Took apart the old Hotpoint and replaced the belt again (third time I think, just the casing that takes ages to get apart) and for £5.99 the dryers up and running again.

I'd still like to find a more energy efficient one but my experiences have put me right off the condenser. I'd personally always go for vented now, our old machine drys clothes in a quarter of the time of the condenser one....

BenB

posted on 26/12/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Right. I've decided. Going to get a vented one! Bosch dryers are mostly right hand hinged which is no good in our installation, the one Bosch condensing dryer which has a reversible door cannot be connected to a permanent drain so the dryer needs draining every time- just isn't going to happen...

I found a nice Condensing right hand hinged A++ Samsung but it was 700 odd quid and for me that's a bit of a gamble. It worries me that most of the people buying Bosch condensing ones said you have to adjust it from the default settings to a high level of dryness and it only adequately dried if on "Cupboard Dry plus" IE it has lots of settings but only the maximum dryness and when on non-default sub-setting levels of dryness. I suspect it probably isn't A++ at that point!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.