Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it just me....
AndyW

posted on 30/12/14 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just me....

Just been looking on e-bay and there are iphone6s (not the large just standard) selling for nearly £700

My wife got a new iphone 6 and doesn't actually like the size. Typical she wants the iphone 5. Anyways are people really that desperate for the latest phone that they will pay £700 for one? Its just a phone...

Has the world gone mad or am I being an out of touch old git (at 42 years....)

ceebmoj

posted on 30/12/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thats how much they cost. Work out what your wifes contract is over its duration, and then remove the cost of the cheapest service only contract you can find.
r1_pete

posted on 30/12/14 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think I agree, I don't think anyone can be that desperate for a few new features, I'm sure in most cases its pose value.....

Kids all want things because of what the item can do, not what they need it to do, and probably use 20% of the functionality.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 30/12/14 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone6/4.7-inch-display-128gb-silver-unlocked

£699

snapper

posted on 30/12/14 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it's all about the pose
I say that but I like them, iPhone. Apple generally, I use Apple for work (massive spec. 2 x 27" screens + 22" Wacom) but only own a little one for home ( MAC Mini)and the iphone 5, if I had spare the house would be full of Mac stuff but that's just me.
I've never bought a new car, many do without question or thought of depreciation.
You are of course right, £700 for a phone, madness.
Just one more thought, I don't have Sky or any equivelant how much does that cost?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

steve m

posted on 30/12/14 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I still like my iPhone 3s cant see any benefit except snobbery, and bragging rights

and with my O2 upgrade for a 5s is £19 a month, still doesn't inspire me to downgrade

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

scudderfish

posted on 30/12/14 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone6/4.7-inch-display-128gb-silver-unlocked

£699

That isn't even the most expensive. The 6+ can cost up to £789

talkingcars

posted on 31/12/14 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper.............Just one more thought, I don't have Sky or any equivelant how much does that cost?

Mine is £18/month.

Alfa145

posted on 31/12/14 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ah the good old Apple Sheep wanting the latest fashion accessory keeping prices high......

Give me an Android phone any day.

blakep82

posted on 31/12/14 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
They are what I call Idiots (the I being like the I in Iphone)
Apple stuff really isnt that good. Its all advertising hype

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

joneh

posted on 31/12/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is once you've got onto Apple products, you have iTunes, a couple thousand photos on iCloud, all the apps you've paid for and your email and calander setup, it's difficult to move to a different brand.

The annoying thing is the latest update has bricked my wife's 4s so she needs a new one!

Alfa145

posted on 31/12/14 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
The annoying thing is the latest update has bricked my wife's 4s so she needs a new one!

Sounds like they have an excellent business plan to force people to go and buy a new one to increase their sales....

Irony

posted on 31/12/14 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Been a Mac user all my working life - New Mac Pro, 2 x 27inch Monitors 32gig ram etc etc etc. But I won't touch iOS both iPhone and iPad. Way to many restrictions on what you can or cannot do. I had a iPhone and I was going to see a client and I had a couple of gig of files I wanted to take. Someone had nicked my USB memory stick. Plugged the iPhone in to the Mac, err sorry you can't do that iTunes says NO. Out comes the old android phone and the jobs done!
Slimy38

posted on 31/12/14 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
Ah the good old Apple Sheep wanting the latest fashion accessory keeping prices high......

Give me an Android phone any day.

Android has their own fanbase though, I know people who are obsessed by the latest Samsung or HTC. OK, it's not on the scale of some Apple prices, but it's not far behind.

I'll stay with my Galaxy S2 for now.

gaz_gaz

posted on 1/1/15 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by talkingcars
quote:
Originally posted by snapper.............Just one more thought, I don't have Sky or any equivelant how much does that cost?

Mine is £18/month.

£97 per month for mine.
sports, movies, hd, multiroom, boxnation

[Edited on 1/1/15 by gaz_gaz]

craig1410

posted on 1/1/15 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, it never fails to amaze me how quickly a simple question can descend into generalised insults (eg. 'Apple Sheep', 'Idiots' ) being thrown at literally hundreds of millions of (mostly) very happy consumers. We all make choices on how we wish to spend our hard-earned money whether it be on a better car, home entertainment, electronic gadgets or whatever. I wonder how many of us on this forum have spent way more than £700 on garage tools we really can't justify???

Getting back to the question of whether an iPhone 6 is "worth" £700, the first thing to point out os that the retail prices of the iPhone 6 direct from store.apple.com/uk are £539, £619 and £699 for unlocked phones with 16GB, 64GB and 128GB of memory. So clearly it makes no sense to buy an iPhone on eBay for £700 if you can get it from Apple within 24 hours for less, regardless of the memory size. However, I'm sure we have all seen people spend more in an auction than the same item costs brand new so this is not a new phenomenon. I guess it can result from people having funds in Paypal from other transactions whereas maybe they don't have credit or debit card funds available.

Taking the popular 64GB model for comparison with one of the latest Android devices, Google Nexus 6, you can see from Google's own website that it costs £549 ( https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_6_64_GB_Cloud_White?id=nexus_6_white_64gb ) so only a £70 difference. Note that I'm not going to get into a "which is best" argument here because that depends on what we each want/need/value about each product. There are plenty of reviews around if anyone wants to find out the pros and cons of each. Also, I realise the Nexus 6 has a bigger screen than the iPhone 6 but the screen size doesn't actually make much difference to the cost of the phone in reality.

Going back to the iPhone 6 for a moment, there have been estimates made by some companies as to the BOM (bill of material) costs of the iPhone 6 and if I recall correctly it was $227 (US dollars) for what I think was the base 16GB model. To keep the currency conversions out of it, that 16GB phone retails for $649 in the Apple US store. So on the face of it you could say they make $422 on each iPhone 6 sold. However, that is grossly misleading because the $227 number is a parts and assembly only cost and does not include the huge costs of almost 100,000 staff, design, marketing, sales, research, plant and machinery etc. To give you an idea of these costs, official filings show that Apple's SG&A ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SG%26A ) costs were $12 billion over the last 4 quarters and separately, R&D costs are projected to be $13B in 2015. When you add these costs to the estimated $227 BOM cost then you can easily get to around the $375 per unit mark which is around 60% of the retail selling price. That leaves Apple with a margin in the high 30% range from which they can continue to grow and invest in future generations of the technology.

It's no secret that Apple target the high-end product market and are not interested in the low-end market. They are also running a healthy business with sustainable profit margins unlike Samsung who are in pretty bad financial shape right now. Also, anyone who knows anything about engineering, manufacturing and software, knows that Apple's products are extremely high quality and that quality is only matched by a few of the competing products so you can't just compare products willy-nilly. Apple is essentially the BMW/Mercedes/Porsche of the consumer electronics world. While you can get a Kia to do much the same job, there is a lot more to it than that. But for many people a Kia is the right choice just as for other people a Porsche is the right choice and we should not judge or insult each other because of those choices.

Happy New Year to all,
Craig.

[Edited on 1/1/2015 by craig1410]

morcus

posted on 2/1/15 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I think they're all overpriced and overloaded with features, mostly because most arent bought outright so most people dont realise.

The biggest evidence for me though as to over pricing is the huge difference in cost between territories, they cost 700 Because people will pay that.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

craig1410

posted on 2/1/15 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Personally I think they're all overpriced and overloaded with features, mostly because most arent bought outright so most people dont realise.

The biggest evidence for me though as to over pricing is the huge difference in cost between territories, they cost 700 Because people will pay that.

To be fair, Apple tend to release features a lot more conservatively than Android and often get criticised for it. It's actually easier to just release all the features you can think of rather than try to stay focussed on solid features that people will actually use. I think I've already covered the overpriced argument above. Maybe you are meaning they are just too expensive in absolute terms and should be simplified and therefore made cheaper but I would argue that there are plenty of lower-end phones to cover anyone in that market. Like I said earlier, Apple are not interested in low-end stuff.

It's worth pointing out at that the only reason Apple can make decent profits from the products they sell is because they stay focussed on a few product varieties and stick with them for 6-12 months at a time. That way they can get huge economies of scale in the supply chain. This is part of the reason Samsung can't compete in the profit per unit race because they have the burden of dozens of different products to design, build, stock and support. Apple keep the products they do ship from stagnation by releasing software updates with new features for products sold 2 or even 3 years previously. They just see the iPhone (and iPad) as a screen through which software is exposed. The software is the thing really.

The cost between territories (assuming you mean mainly between USA and UK) is something that often annoys people but there are some genuine reasons behind it, mainly the addition of VAT in the UK versus variable sales tax in the USA which is not included in the published prices like VAT is in the UK. Also, currency variations can play a part as we saw recently when Russia's currency took a big dive. You could get a very cheap iPhone in Russia for a short time before Apple revised the prices.

Anyway, at the end of the day it comes down to simple supply and demand in free markets, and to me that's the way it should be.

Cheers,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.