Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EPROM cloning
mark chandler

posted on 30/12/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
EPROM cloning

Hello chaps

My DB7 has a Zytec ECU, this is now 19 years old although is programable, I have a friend with a chipped ECU so was wondering what is involved in cloning his EPROM and dropping into my car, I assume you pull out the chip, download the information then push back into my car, using a lead on the comms port is not possible as you need a dongle to access it.

Looking on eBay you can get kits cheaply for this, not sure if they would work back to something this old, does anyone have any knowledge?

Cheers Mark

ashg

posted on 30/12/14 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
It depends if the chip has been encripted, if it is then it would be much harder to copy. If not then Happy days. Dump out the data to a bin and write it to a new chip job done.

On my old lancia the standard ecu chip was enceipted but the after market ones were not. Once one person in the owners club had an upgrade chip from a well known Italian tuner for a specific turbo upgrade, it was simply a case of copy and distribute.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

MikeRJ

posted on 30/12/14 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
You would need an EPROM programmer suitable for the device you wish to read/program and either new blank device or an EPROM eraser (essentially an ultraviolet lamp of the correct wavelength).

If it's 19 years old then I suspect it will be a 27xxx device, e.g. 27256, which most programmers will support.

The TL866 programmer, widely available from numerous eBay sellers, is a pretty decent low cost programmer that supports a wide range of devices.

mark chandler

posted on 30/12/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, I will pull it from the car and have a look inside.

New EPROMs are cheap on eBay so a bit of experimentation is called for.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/12/14 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you observe anti static precautions when removing the EPROM from the ECU and handling.

As already said its probably a 27C128 or 256.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.