Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Jag
splitrivet

posted on 24/11/04 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
New Jag

Might be talking a load about something you guys know of already here,but was working in a local Jag dealers today a single car covered transporter truck rolled up and all the reptiles /office staff and mechanics piled outside and waited for the contents to be offoaded.

Thought to myself this looks interesting so sidled outside myself, anyroad they rolled off the most gorgeous looking motor Ive seen for a long time the badge at the back read Type R coupe,what a bit of kit an absolute cracker.

After they swarmed over it for a few minutes they quickly covered it over.
Anyone know anything about it.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

mackie

posted on 24/11/04 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be the new XK replacement?
I saw a heavily disguised pic in a magazine the other week so I'm guessing it's near to production.

splitrivet

posted on 24/11/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the baby Dave but the front end seemed a bit blunter very much like the new Bentley it looked about XK size so it could be the XK replacement .

Fabulous looker really mean at the front graceful at the rear,I would think they are onto a winner with it,never know it might get em out of the red.

I would think the Germans are crapping hot bricks
Cheers,
Bob

Noodle

posted on 24/11/04 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
The new Jag is around. I was was talking to a chap from the factory on Sunday and he says they've smashed up 3 already testing for strength.

He knew of 10 that had been built.

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/11/04 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
looks are not everything. The germans might not need to worry just yet....

comparing my 3 series against someone I know's x type, the boot liner panels of the 'jag' were falling off the car after only a month. they were held on with about one screw a side. The beemer is far more solid.

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/11/04 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Comparing a Jag with a Beemer is a bit like comparing a bottle of Glenfiddick and a bottle of Dettol. The both do what they are supposed to do, but one is far nicer to use

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

splitrivet

posted on 24/11/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
The x types a mondeo steve no more no less,must be the biggest marketing con this side of the black stump.

The s types a reshelled mercury this looks like a new model from the ground up,lets give us brits a fighting chance,not just dismiss it cos its british, albeit owned by ford.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 24/11/04 by splitrivet]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/11/04 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

ive had a jag - a V12 1989 xjs. Nice inside, but fatally flawed by a 3 speed auto box that gave a 0-60 of around 8 secs from 300 hp!

My 3 series diesel does 9.3 with half that power. Id have a high end REAL jag given the choice, but I dont have that budget.

splitrivet.
Note I put 'jag' in quotes in my post.

However, no jags are really jags now are they? My F reg was made a few months before ford bought jag...... so essentially all thats come from the factory since then has ford influence.

Yep, the x types a modeo chassis.

Yep, the S types also a ford lincoln model in a different guise.

Yep, the XK8 (AFAIK) is based on the same chassis as the Aton MArtin uses, another ford.

So, really, it depends how 'ford' a car needs to be before its no longer a jag.......

incidentally - the auto box that wrecked the Jag V12 was a General Motors part.....

I wonder what ford the car under discussion is based on?

My first reaction was from the side it looked a bit like the 6 series

atb

steve

[Edited on 24/11/04 by stephen_gusterson]

stevebubs

posted on 24/11/04 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
That back end looks scarily like the old Cougar one.
splitrivet

posted on 24/11/04 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hear what you say steve just erks me a bit when most guys think because its got a german badge its the dogs doodahs.

Look throughout the world most italians drive an italian car,france a french, germany same,sweden same,japan same,usa,need I go on.Get over to blighty everythings good as long as its not british.Perhaps thats why our car industry is in the state its in.

OK I know we've turned out some shite but so have all the other countries,remember the lancia.But if you havent got a backing in your home market how you gonna move it anyplace else.

Looks a bit Aston to me Steve

Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 24/11/04 by splitrivet]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/11/04 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Im not saying bmw are dogs nuts, in fact my wifes megane is almost as good a car to drive, and its half the money.....

And I preferred a C coupe - but it was against the 'rules' of my company

I was in south korea earlier this year. I spent 5 days on the road, being driven virtually the length of the country. in all the motorway miles and town miles, I only saw THREE non korean cars.

Its not cos korea is some kinda 3rd world state - its absolutely not - rather like japan in many ways. I asked why all korean, and was told that koreans prefer to buy korean. There is also still a fair degree of dislike of japanese due to ww2 and before, so jap companies are not set up well to sell in korea...

BTW - one of the three was a bmw.....

atb

steve

splitrivet

posted on 25/11/04 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly as I say, I have a place in france I dont know anyone over there without a french motor,go to spain or anywhere else in europe its the same come over here and its just the opposite.

Cheers,
Bob

PioneerX

posted on 26/11/04 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Guys,

The car in the pictures above is the X150, basically the XK's replacment. From the information we have (some bits removed as we are not allowed to talk about it really), the chassis is a shorten (in length, not width) version of the new XJ bonded chassis (and will be built in the same factory). The engines are the same as the current XK but retuned, both the V8 N/A and Supercharged but on the new XJ 6 speed gearbox.

I'm not too sure why one was being delivered (guess it would be an advetising thing so they can start getting order prior to the offical release date). Although I cant discuss the actual release date, it is not for a long time yet.

Steve,

Just to confirm a few points,

Your right in the X-type. That is nothing more than a mondeo really, uses just the same tooling, chassis & engine range. In fact if you change the body panels and interier then you have mondeo. X-type is Jaguars launch into the company car market so had to appeal to companys that ran mondeos & passats.

The XK does share a chassis with the Austin, however this probobly will not come as a surpise, but the chassis is a very minor modifcation to the XJS one. But the XJS chassis was already outstanding same the gearboxes let them down really.

anyway possibly said too much already

Simon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 26/11/04 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Exactly as I say, I have a place in france I dont know anyone over there without a french motor,go to spain or anywhere else in europe its the same come over here and its just the opposite.

Cheers,
Bob

Sadly, there is no such thing as a British car...(err, unless you make your own!)

And when there was, the industry was sooo stuck in their ways that the rest of the world just blitzed the market with better models. You would of thought that the British car industry would of took notice when the motorcycle industry was all but destroyed by foreign imports.

Seemingly not...

[Edited on 26/11/04 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

Noodle

posted on 26/11/04 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PioneerX
Guys,

Your right in the X-type. That is nothing more than a mondeo really, uses just the same tooling, chassis & engine range. In fact if you change the body panels and interier then you have mondeo. X-type is Jaguars launch into the company car market so had to appeal to companys that ran mondeos & passats.

I thought they were after the 3-series/C Class market.

But with a Mondeo? I'm afraid it looked like a cynical badge-engineering exercise from the start.

The bloke that looked like Leslie Phillips but had a long German name (former BMW bloke) left over the use-a-Mondeo-platform-issue I believe.

Cheers,

Neil

p.s. There's nothing wrong with Mondeo's per se

Your sort make me sick

PioneerX

posted on 26/11/04 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Noodle,

Basically anything that could be considered a fleet car was a viable target.

Just to be sure no-one miss understands me, I haveno problem with the mondeo at all, its a fine car for people who actually want one. Personally I would not have, but then I'm a Jaguar man (hence XJ8 I drive).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 26/11/04 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PioneerX
Noodle,

Basically anything that could be considered a fleet car was a viable target.

Just to be sure no-one miss understands me, I haveno problem with the mondeo at all, its a fine car for people who actually want one. Personally I would not have, but then I'm a Jaguar man (hence XJ8 I drive).

Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't have one either unless it was in the £150 price range.

I'm in the queue for an XJS Celebration from my favourite Aunty! It's a low mileage cracker.

Huzzah!

Neil

Your sort make me sick

stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/11/04 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
why not see if the national car museum in coventry have finished with barbies xjs. Nice open top pink example

was used for promo in usa. I recon barbie would drive a mx5 / miata or a streetka nowadays!

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.