Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit car for sale ads, where have they gone?
Alez

posted on 6/3/15 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Kit car for sale ads, where have they gone?

Hi all,

It's been a few years now since my interest in cars decreased, giving way to other interests (chiefly music education, but also work and so on).

Now, my brother is looking to buy a Seven-like kit car (he used to drive my Locost BEC, which we both loved), so I've offered to search for ads.

Back then, I used to search for ads mainly in Pistonheads. As far as I know, no other website offered any near the amount of relevant ads as offered by PH, except perhaps Ebay, which I don't particularly like.

But it seems like all those ads are gone. Pistonheads now has a new interface, but very, very few kit car ads. Where are the ads gone? Has any particular website taken PH's place?

Cheers,

Alex

Hodor

posted on 6/3/15 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking round too. My daily schedule involves looking here, PH, ebay and wscc. Occasionally I do a Google search to trawl other classic car sites and trovit. Most action right now is on ebay tbh.
Alez

posted on 6/3/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm doing the exact same thing including websites mentioned + Google!

Thanks!

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 6/3/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
What's your budget ?

Have you seen this little beauty ? shameless plug

Hodor

posted on 6/3/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
That is a nice car, and out of my budget. I don't even check the Caterham ads though as they all too expensive for me, what I mean by that is a like for like spec westfield / indy / mnr is way better value.
MP3C

posted on 6/3/15 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I got my kit car back in the day at a steal off auto trader from some garage who I don't think knew the full worth of it, that might be a place to look.

Matt

Sam_68

posted on 6/3/15 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind that we're in the very depths of the 'low season' as far as sports car sales are concerned.

The ads for the more extreme sports cars (things like Elises, too) drop off steeply at this time of year. Give it another couple of months and things will be a lot more promising.

andylancaster3000

posted on 7/3/15 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have a locost for sale on pistonheads. I don't think it sees as much traffic as an ebay ad would but I'm not sure how much of a cut e-bay take these days so I've not bothered (yet)

Anyway - second plug: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/locost--2-0-duratec/3728882

Eggy

posted on 7/3/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Mines for sale too (see my archive as I'm not sure if the link to my advert will work :-( )

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=196302

[Edited on 7/3/15 by Eggy]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 7/3/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Unsure, but there's been a lot of overpriced not-so-good 'things' out there that seem to represent the current market. Yes, there's nothing wrong with that pinnacle of engineering, the Pinto, in a rusty-chassis'd device with leaking shocks etc., but to expect to receive £8K for it is a tad optimistic. These sellers won't accept otherwise, so things just get listed until the cars rot away.
On the other hand, you have the sellers of reasonable machinery, with reasonable expectations of 'value'. These souls may then be bothered by those with an 'interest', but are essentially looking for something for nothing. It therefore becomes a real non-starter to want to go through all this (my current experience with my R1-5VY Riot).

We've laughed at a lot of this, Duratec/BEC MK/Westerlocaterfields registered as Duttons, etc., etc.... those ads that go on for years, describing cars that really are over valued/crap etc., etc....

Alez

posted on 7/3/15 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your comments and advice.

quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
That is a nice car, and out of my budget. I don't even check the Caterham ads though as they all too expensive for me, what I mean by that is a like for like spec westfield / indy / mnr is way better value.

Exact same here.

quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
I have a locost for sale on pistonheads. I don't think it sees as much traffic as an ebay ad would but I'm not sure how much of a cut e-bay take these days so I've not bothered (yet)

Anyway - second plug: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/locost--2-0-duratec/3728882

Thanks, but that looks a little too track oriented for my brother. Also he requires full weather gear.

quote:
Originally posted by Eggy
Mines for sale too (see my archive as I'm not sure if the link to my advert will work :-( )

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=196302

Thanks, but my brother is looking for a 2 litre or similar (like Zetec, Duratec, 4A-GE or VTEC).

Thanks!!

Alez

posted on 10/3/15 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
On top of your valuable advice, here's a couple more I've found showing activity:
http://www.kitcar-trader.co.uk/
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/500/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.