Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: duratec camshafts
james g

posted on 11/3/15 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
duratec camshafts

I have a fairly standard duratec 2.0 in my MNR - throttle bodies, 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust and lightened flywheel - and am fancying a bit of an upgrade. There have been a few topics on duratec camshaft choices but I cant find any feedback on the choices people have ultimately made.

Initial thoughts were for a fairly simple kent cam Dtec10 install but the more I look at it, and now that the engine is out of the car (again) the more I fancy something a little spicier. So forged pistons and rods are now on the shopping list.

The car is for road and trackday use and I am keen to avoid overcamming the engine but equally I want to make the car entertaining to drive.

Currently looking at the newmans ph4 or perhaps the Kent Dtec45.

Any feedback on either or others in this spec appreciated.

Thanks
James

[Edited on 12/3/15 by james g]

ceebmoj

posted on 12/3/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help you out sorry. I'm considering simalar upgrade so intrested to hear what others have fitted.
james g

posted on 13/3/15 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Good to know I am not entirely alone in trying to figure this out....

I called Kent cams with a view to finding out my options and trying to benchmark my expectations.

The Kent D-TEC35 cam (lift 11.1mm, duration 280) is the same spec as the Caterham R500. If you are running butterfly throttle bodies rather than roller barrels as Caterham do, power delivery should be a little smoother than in the Caterham. New pistons (not sure if you can just modify existing) are needed, along with all the other bits and pieces to access the higher RPM, rods, bolts…….. therefore quite spendy.

Interestingly, it is possible to fit the D-TEC20 (lift 11.0mm, duration 268) to standard internals, but the max lift point of the of the exhaust cam will require advancing to c107/108 degrees to avoid contact with the piston. This will clip a bit off the top end power. They recommended upgrading the springs to allow for the greater lift. – power could be 210-220 ish.

As I have already upgraded the rod bolts and con rod bearings, upping the rev limit to c 7,500 rpm should allow me to access the upper end of the power band.

Has anyone fitted the D-TEC20 to a standard 2.0 duratec engine? Any issues?

Thanks
James

jtskips

posted on 13/3/15 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you're putting high comp pistons in you will have to change the rods ,piston gudgeon pin is a different diameter, I have accralite pistons and kent cams 11. something cant remember at this min and a high port st150 head ,one option is to have your pistons pocketed , think dunnel engines do them ,but a 13 row oil cooler is a must on this engine,my garage is full of duratec stuff , [2 bent cranks blocks and heads ect ect , I did buy some rods off ebay [williams] when i knacked crank number 2 i was using these rods when i rang too replace 1 rod he would only sell me a set off 4 , dont buy willams poor after sales,
james g

posted on 9/4/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
A very belated thanks for the info. I have been busy taking things apart. I have picked up a set of k1 rods and now need some pistons. What do you think of the accralite ones you have? Where did you get them from?

Oh and how did you bend the crankshaft? I thought they were good for up to 9000 rpm?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.